Taking a new hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tpot

Taking a new hunter

Unread postby Tpot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm

My buddy just got into hunting this year. I am debating if I should take him through the full best experience or just the typical public land hunter. What are your opinions?

Motivated
500 Club

Re: Taking a new hunter

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "full best experience", but I just took a buddy out for his first time this past weekend.

I would view this as if you had a buddy who was coming in from out of town, who wanted to see the best parts of your city. You are his tour guide. You are his ambassador to your hometown.

You likely wouldn't make his trip extremely uncomfortable. You likely wouldn't make his trip extremely boring. You would try to have your friend enjoy himself and want to come back to your city.

I tried to give my friend a high odds experience which he would want to repeat.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 am

Definitely don’t make it hard on a new hunter. Nothing wrong with hunting squirrels or rabbits. That’s a blast. If he wants to hunt deer try to get him set up to where he will have the most deer action. Not necessarily big buck action. Just have fun with it. It doesn’t have to be a mission to kill. Make it fun and more of a learning experience. If you kill, that’s a bonus.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:01 am

Yeah, what is the full best experience? Like a paid guided hunt on a deer farm where you are guaranteed a shot at a big buck? Never done that.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 am

Think the OP might have meant the full beast experience.

Maybe not the "full" beast. But if his plan is to continue to hunt with you. I wouldn't go cream puff on him either. Try to put him somewhere he'll have a good chance of seeing deer. But make him work a little for it!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 am

stash59 wrote:Think the OP might have meant the full beast experience.

Maybe not the "full" beast. But if his plan is to continue to hunt with you. I wouldn't go cream puff on him either. Try to put him somewhere he'll have a good chance of seeing deer. But make him work a little for it!

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense. lol. :lol:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Tpot

Unread postby Tpot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Ya what stash59 said sorry guys
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 am

If it was my buddy, we'd first scout for deer, come up with a plan and hunt. I'd probably pick a high-percentage, high volume spot. Give him the full experience and let him make his own decisions on the plan and set up. Good luck! I hope your friend falls in love with it.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”