CWD... You eating?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CWD positive deer, are you going to eat it?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 100
stash59

Re: CWD... You eating?

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:50 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Ok I stand corrected cooking wont kill CWD. I still struggle to find one actual case where it was transferred by eating.... you would think predators would be dropping like flies? I still think it's a great idea to thoroughly cook all game and fish.

I'm not sure I'd eat a positive tested animal, but truthfully I dont worry about it and have never had an animal tested.

BTW, keep eating your potatoes, corn and other veggies.... or did you not here that most commercially grown vegetables have been modified with roundup in the seed.... so insects wont eat plants that have been modified like this.... no food source is safe these days unless you grow or raise it yourself. BTW all deer eat ag products heavily sprayed with the crap.

Roundup is an herbicide and it kills plants. Any farmer who likes money would not be modifying their crops with it. I think what you mean is cross breading... which is when, for example in the case of corn, they take 2 breeds of corn and plant the different breeds in alternating rows. When the corn grows to the point where it grows tops/tassels, they top the corn (cut off the top tassels) of the breed A they do not want to pollinate breed B. So what you're left with is breed B which then pollinates breed A. This is crossbreeding or sometimes referred to as GMO (genetically modified). They do it to bring out the desirable traits in different breeds. Like resistance to insects, higher yields, drought resistance, etc.

I think sometimes round up may be used to kill weeds in some agro use cases though. But they aren't mixing it with their cash crops. Not if they want to keep the farm. I think pesticides are much more of a concern. Some of them are pretty nasty.

All that said, why compound risky behavior by consuming disease-ridden meat?

About Roundup Ready CropsJean Roe - Fields
"Genetically Modified Food
Roundup Ready crops are crops genetically modified to be resistant to the herbicide Roundup. Roundup is the brand-name of a herbicide produced by Monsanto. Its active ingredient glyphosate was patented in the 1970s. Roundup is widely used by both people in their backyards and farmers in their fields. Roundup Ready plants are resistant to Roundup, so farmers that plant these seeds must use Roundup to keep other weeds from growing in their fields.

The first Roundup Ready crops were developed in 1996, with the introduction of genetically modified soybeans that are resistant to Roundup. These crops were developed to help farmers control weeds. Because the new crops are resistant to Roundup, the herbicide can be used in the fields to eliminate unwanted foliage. Current Roundup Ready crops include soy, corn, canola, alfalfa, cotton, and sorghum, with wheat under development.

Roundup Ready crop seeds have notoriously been referred to as "terminator seeds." This is because the crops produced from Roundup Ready seeds are sterile. Each year, farmers must purchase the most recent strain of seed from Monsanto. This means that farmers cannot reuse their best seed. Read more about terminator seeds.

To read more about genetically modified food from a few different perspectives, check out the key players page. To learn more about the impact of Roundup Ready seeds, check out the impact page."

"If Roundup Ready® Corn is consumed, can roundup be detected in the human body shortly after consumption? Application of Roundup brand herbicides sometimes results in a small amount of glyphosate residues in crops and commodities intended for human and animal use. Regulatory agencies, particularly the U.S. EPA, take the potential for consumption of such residues into consideration. Regulatory agencies establish the maximum level of residues allowed in food and feed as well as the allowable daily intake of those residues. Most glyphosate that is consumed just passes through the digestive tract unabsorbed. The fraction that is absorbed is rapidly eliminated from the body and does not accumulate in our body; "

That's messed up. I had no idea they had round up resistant crops... That stuff destroys anything it touches. I can't imagine plants surviving it but I learned me suttin...

Bigger yields, but less nutritional value!!!! :doh:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:07 am

Dewey wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:
Dewey wrote:Not knowingly but in the late 90's our group tagged out on archery mule deer in extreme NW Nebraska and later found out the area we killed them had an extremely high infection rate. Odds are pretty good we had at least one positive deer among us. The deer were all consumed by then so it didn't really matter. Over 20 years later we're all still here, healthy and no signs of anything out of the ordinary other than typical old age memory loss. :lol:

CWD wasn't found in NE until 2000. Those early years had very low rates of infection, but it's climbed since then.

This was 1998 in NW Nebraska not NE. The articles I read back around 2000 said the specific area we were hunting was extremely high. I don’t have any data to prove just going by what I read back then.

This map shows the area we hunted with the cluster of positives.

Honestly though odds are many of us in WI have likely unknowingly eaten positive deer because we test very few. Haven’t heard of a single connection anywhere in the state for brain diseases related to eating venison. All the old deer hunters I know that died lived healthy lives dying of natural causes not at all related to CWD caused illnesses.

I'm familiar with CWD in Nebraska, I'm saying that the first case in the state was found in Kimball County (extreme SW panhandle) in 2000. It was found in the Pine Ridge in 2001. So there wasn't any prior to that point and the prevalence rates following the discovery in the early 2000's were still very low. I'm not sure what it was that you read.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/cwd/
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 am

stash59 wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:It will eventually be nationwide. It's only a matter of time.... sadly.

My bet is it is already nation wide. And always has been. Just never been tested for, before. How else is it getting all over, so fast. Since the big scare here in WI a few years ago!!!!

There can't be that many hunters bringing home infected animals, from CWD areas. Nor can that many infected animals be cross contaminating each other. Without widespread die offs. That would be noticed by hunters and state game depts.

I'm not sure how its spreading and is probably already in places they just haven't looked yet but i think many people underestimate the ability of people to be moving this disease around. I remember an article last year or maybe the year before that studied the home address of all the non residents that registered(ie killed) a deer in the cwd zones in Wisconsin and I think it was like hunters from 48 different states. And that's just WI. I cant even imagine how many people killed cwd positive animals out west over the last 50 yrs and where they got hauled too before the transport regs were put in place.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Roundup Ready crop seeds have notoriously been referred to as "terminator seeds." This is because the crops produced from Roundup Ready seeds are sterile. Each year, farmers must purchase the most recent strain of seed from Monsanto. This means that farmers cannot reuse their best seed. Read more about terminator seeds.

Having purchased RR soybeans to plant, a farmer needs to sign a contract with Monsanto that you will not plant seed you harvest, so I'm not on-board with this mention of "terminator seeds". I do know if you get caught with a field of RR soybeans that you can't provide a seed receipt for, Monsanto is going to come in and destroy it. What really rubs me raw is Monsanto has less pull in South America, our largest soybean competitor, where the technology is pirated, creating an unfair advantage.

All that being said, in regards to CWD, nature will take it's course here, as she always does. We might not like it, though. I don't like it when the response to CWD is to nuke the herd, as then you are probably killing animals that might have a genetic resistance to the disease you are trying to eradicate. Survival of the fittest?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 am

Over the years since CWD was discovered I always gotta laugh at the guys who are afraid to eat deer now due to fear of contracting the disease are the same guys that smoke, drink excessively, live on fast food, rarely exercise and generally pollute their bodies with way more dangerous things. :roll:

Fact is there has never been a connection to eating CWD infected deer and jumping into humans. The argument is “well.....in 20 years it might show up”....I don’t buy that. It’s been around since the 1960’s and only found because it was tested so I’m sure CWD has been around as long a deer and elk have been on this earth.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:23 am

Dewey wrote:Over the years since CWD was discovered I always gotta laugh at the guys who are afraid to eat deer now due to fear of contracting the disease are the same guys that smoke, drink excessively, live on fast food, rarely exercise and generally pollute their bodies with way more dangerous things. :roll:

Fact is there has never been a connection to eating CWD infected deer and jumping into humans. The argument is “well.....in 20 years it might show up”....I don’t buy that. It’s been around since the 1960’s and only found because it was tested so I’m sure CWD has been around as long a deer and elk have been on this earth.

CWD was first discovered in captive cervids. I remember reading somewhere that it was mule deer behind held in a facility that previously held sheep infected with scrapie, which is one of the reasons the scientific community theorizes CWD is a mutation of scrapie, which has been around for hundreds of years while scrapie has not.
It took a million people eating BSE positive beef before someone got sick. Never underestimate nature.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”