What shots *won't* you take?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: What shots *won't* you take?

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:51 am

muddy wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:Tequila

I once heard a guy say, "tequila changes people", and that's probably the most truth I've ever heard in a bar.

I'm very conservative with my shots. I like em close, I like em broadside, and I stick to that. Taking low percentage shots isnt my thing no matter how much bone is there. Drives me nuts when I hear "it was a bad angle but he was so big I just HAD to shoot".

My personal rules, however situational, apply to any deer. Quite honestly I may be more willing to push boundaries/shot angles on a doe due to smaller bone structure.

Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:39 pm

I practice shooting like crazy in all sorts of situations, shooting positions and shot angles and have different answers for all of them. I would like to say I dont shoot when they are at x yardage or y angle, etc., but I guess when it comes down to it, I will make that decision when I have to make that decision. If I feel confident I can make the shot while Im at full draw, I'm taking it. If I'm not 100%, I dont.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:23 pm

I don't like saying no you shouldn't take this shot. Or that shot is just fine. Situations vary, skill set varies, equipment varies.

I've had perfect broadside shots go bad. Because I couldn't see a matchstick sized branch from a bush. That blended in with the animals body.

I've passed on shots I know friends could have easily made. But my shooting ability wasn't good enough, to put the arrow in a small window or on a certain angle.

Other times my equipment allowed me to take shots others wouldn't because it performed better. Flatter trajectory, so my arrow would go under a limb instead of hitting it, mid flight.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:58 am

Shots I won't take.

1. Deer moving beyond the most leisurely stroll imaginable (I'll shoot if they are slo-mo walking to where they might only be an inch or two forward of where they were at time of arrow release). I won't shoot deer walking at a normal clip nor anything faster. I have resorted to saying "hey deer!" to get them to stop when a mouth bleat didn't do it.
2. Deer facing totally away. They have to be quartering at least to the point where I can easily get 1 lung or through liver and center of diaphragm and up into lungs.
3. Any neck shot, so I won't shoot where I can only see head and neck.
4. strong quartering toward where I can't get at least 1 lung and liver by going behind shoulder. I won't shoot in front of shoulder.

The controversial bit is I have taken quartering toward shots (45 degree) where I only got strongly 1 lung, diaphragm, liver, and then out the guts. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a deer go more than 100 yards after such a shot.

I am ambivalent about straight down shots. I have taken 2 buck right under my stand. I centered the spine and dropped them on both occasions, and then followed up with 1 to the heart. I have to think I was lucky that I did not center a vertebra that might have stopped the arrow. In one case, the broadhead extended down 9 inches into the lungs. In the other case, I only got a few inches past the spine.

For context, I shoot a fast bow at 29.5", 63 pounds, but my arrow is only 375 grains and I shoot a grim reaper 1 3/8" mechanical with the chisel tip (used to shoot muzzy). I spend a lot of time tuning and working on my form so the arrow hits straight on. Penetration hasn't been an issue so far. Having said that, I am strongly considering revamping my setup in the spring and going to a 450 grain arrow with a single bevel 2 blade head. I just love watching that fast arrow and being able to set my single pin at 25 yards and use that pin easily from 0 to 30 yards.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 am

raisins wrote:Shots I won't take.

1. Deer moving beyond the most leisurely stroll imaginable (I'll shoot if they are slo-mo walking to where they might only be an inch or two forward of where they were at time of arrow release). I won't shoot deer walking at a normal clip nor anything faster. I have resorted to saying "hey deer!" to get them to stop when a mouth bleat didn't do it.
2. Deer facing totally away. They have to be quartering at least to the point where I can easily get 1 lung or through liver and center of diaphragm and up into lungs.
4. strong quartering toward where I can't get at least 1 lung and liver by going behind shoulder. I won't shoot in front of shoulder.

The controversial bit is I have taken quartering toward shots (45 degree) where I only got strongly 1 lung, diaphragm, liver, and then out the guts. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a deer go more than 100 yards after such a shot.

I have taken 2 buck right under my stand. I centered the spine and dropped them on both occasions, and then followed up with 1 to the heart. I have to think I was lucky that I did not center a vertebra that might have stopped the arrow. In one case, the broadhead extended down 9 inches into the lungs. In the other case, I only got a few inches past the spine. I know that it was the nerves of having one right under me that did it. I will wait in the future.

For context, I shoot a fast bow at 29.5", 63 pounds, but my arrow is only 375 grains and I shoot a grim reaper 1 3/8" mechanical with the chisel tip (used to shoot muzzy). I spend a lot of time tuning and working on my form so the arrow hits straight on. Penetration hasn't been an issue so far. Having said that, I am strongly considering revamping my setup in the spring and going to a 450 grain arrow with a single bevel 2 blade head. I just love watching that fast arrow and being able to set my single pin at 25 yards and use that pin easily from 0 to 30 yards.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 am

raisins wrote:
raisins wrote:Shots I won't take.

5. Won't shoot over 40 yards and prefer 30 and under.

The controversial bit is I have taken quartering toward shots (45 degree) where I only got strongly 1 lung, diaphragm, liver, and then out the guts. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a deer go more than 100 yards after such a shot. I have to feel that I can tuck the arrow in very close so I hit one lung very well.

I have taken 2 buck right under my stand. I centered the spine and dropped them on both occasions, and then followed up with 1 to the heart. I have to think I was lucky that I did not center a vertebra that might have stopped the arrow. In one case, the broadhead extended down 9 inches into the lungs. In the other case, I only got a few inches past the spine. I know that it was the nerves of having one right under me that did it. I will wait in the future.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”