What shots *won't* you take?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cspot
500 Club

Re: What shots *won't* you take?

Unread postby cspot » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 am

Tufrthnails wrote:WON’T Is such a definite word. So many times it’s situational.

I agree and many situations are tough to explain.

crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Ill take any shot as long as I know I can kill the animal. I dont like to make blanket statements like "Ill never shoot at a deer thats -------." , I like to keep my options open and let every scenario play out as it will on that day.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Certain hard and fast rules but otherwise very situational. Some shots I’ll take certain time and not others based on how alert they are, weather, etc.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Good responses.

Yes, won't is pretty black and white in a gray world.

But there are tendencies you will favor for sure.

I would feel the most comfortable with broadside or quartering away. Movement freaked me out at first, but walking slowly doesn't bug me anymore.

As Gretzky said, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Time will tell, but I want to be better than fairly sure it's the right shot for me. Like anything though, pushing the comfort zone is what gets it done.

Here’s hoping we all get the opportunity to find out on a good one.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Quartering to. Won’t take that or walking shots over 15 yards. In general 30 is my max, 35 under perfect conditions on a relaxed deer. If I’m out west I’ve shot out to 50, but only because it’s extremely tough to get within 30 yards of anything in open country.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:26 pm

Know your weapon, your shooting ability and stick within those limits.

Last year I shot my buck like 3 yards from my stand nearly facing my tree. A shot many would pass....and rightfully so....I was absolutely confident in my setup that it would penetrate well into the chest. It actually exited. I wouldn't recommend that shot. But I built an arrow to do it.

I'd say I wouldn't shoot one in the rear end...but I've done it...long story but decided to pass a buck. As he was walking away i noticed his guts were hanging out. 35 whelen and Accubonds in my hands. Aimed for the right hip to exit the left shoulder. It almost came out. Tough bugger still ran a few yards lol. Didn't plan to shoot him till I saw his guts hanging and knew he wasn't gunna make it.

I remember the first time I shot a trotting deer. Like 30yds in pretty open woods. She bounded a lot and I fired. She fell like a bird from the sky. I thought dad was gunna whack me....but he was amazed....to me, it was an easy, nature thing. I've always had a knack for moving critters.

Just really depends. For me, it's easy....I won't take a shot I'm not 100% confident in....but at the same time, I think I take shots many guys would probably pass on or call unethical.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Tequila
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:09 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Tequila

Yeah, I can see that.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 pm

greenhorndave wrote:

Yeah, I can see that.

:lol: Me either, tequila makes me feel like the devil.

I try to set a max range for me and stick to it, based on how much I've been shooting and how confident I feel in myself and the bow. Outside that range, I usually won't take the shot, but I've slipped on that before and might again. In general, I'll pass on quartering to, full frontal, and the ole Texas heart shot. But that's just me - I have no issue with other people taking those shots if they're set up to do it. I'm considering some changes for next year that might allow me to be a little more flexible and give me some more margin for error, but we'll see. Probably still pass on anything up the rear though.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Depends on conditions.
If theres snow I'll take anyshot
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 am

I once heard a guy say, "tequila changes people", and that's probably the most truth I've ever heard in a bar.

I'm very conservative with my shots. I like em close, I like em broadside, and I stick to that. Taking low percentage shots isnt my thing no matter how much bone is there. Drives me nuts when I hear "it was a bad angle but he was so big I just HAD to shoot".
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:13 am

muddy wrote:

I once heard a guy say, "tequila changes people", and that's probably the most truth I've ever heard in a bar.

I'm very conservative with my shots. I like em close, I like em broadside, and I stick to that. Taking low percentage shots isnt my thing no matter how much bone is there. Drives me nuts when I hear "it was a bad angle but he was so big I just HAD to shoot".

Yeah, my gut says it's would be easier on my mind to pass on one than to wound it and never recover it when you knew the shot might be questionable. Mistakes and/or branches can happen on even the best of shot opportunities, but knowingly? I would have a hard time with it.
----------
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 am

My limits are pretty standard for whitetail hunting. I'll take a broadside shot at a calm deer at 40. 30 and in I'll take broadside or slight quartering away. From the ground inside 20 I'm ok with a frontal. Quartering to, I really don't like to take. I practice routinely out to about 70 yards with good results, but it just takes too long for an arrow to cover that distance to justify anything over 40 yards.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:32 am

I wont take a head shot at a deer with archery tackle, but with that being said, I hit a limb once on a button buck and the arrow ear-holed the little guy on the left side. sounded like someone slapped two 2x4's together and he dropped. the arrow was still in his head, just the vanes sticking in the brain pain with the arrow exiting out the opposite eye hole. it was amazing.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 am

ouachitamac wrote:I wont take a head shot at a deer with archery tackle, but with that being said, I hit a limb once on a button buck and the arrow ear-holed the little guy on the left side. sounded like someone slapped two 2x4's together and he dropped. the arrow was still in his head, just the vanes sticking in the brain pain with the arrow exiting out the opposite eye hole. it was amazing.

That's certainly a unique one! (obviously not intentional)
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”