Urgent: big buck spotted, next step

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Urgent: big buck spotted, next step

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Tonight I had my target buck come in ten minutes before dark. He was cross cutting a light south breeze and got to within 9 yards of my tree without me getting a shot. The breeze died and he either smelt my ground scent or caught my falling thermals. He turned around and walked further south away from me. Thus, I was downwind of the tra Tomorrow I have a north wind, still good for him to cross cut it from his bed that he is in. But I will now be up wind of the trail. He never got even with me where he could smell me on a north or south wind before he decided to walk the other way. My debate is should I stay in the same tree or move to a tree that will be down wind of the trail for a north wind tomorrow evening. I believe he was not overly spooked, just knew something wasn't right.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Urgent: big buck spotted, next step

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:55 am

Sounds like a good hunt. With the wind change your stand location should probably change.
But, with a wind change you should mostly be thinking of how HE changed. Will the same starting point (bedding) be used?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:00 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Sounds like a good hunt. With the wind change your stand location should probably change.
But, with a wind change you should mostly be thinking of how HE changed. Will the same starting point (bedding) be used?

I re-read your post and he might be there again.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 am

Pick a different tree in the same area. Good for the wind, Maybe a little closer to bedding if possible.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
The Cheese
Facebook: None

Unread postby The Cheese » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:56 am

This time of year you can start to pick up his rub line between his bedding and his food source. I would hunt the wind a little farther down from that spot. At least 75 yards. The wind will be the big thing. Don't let it cross his path. He just changed from his Summer patterns and will be more than happy to move again so watch how you enter as well. Good luck and go get 'em.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:36 am

IMO if he didn't freak out out and run outta there after whiffing your scent you might have another chance on him....Another sit won't hurt
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:56 am

I have a shot at him before he could catch my wind if walks the same path. But I also noticed a tree just downwind of the trail about 40 yds from my current location. But come Tuesday I have a south wind again like I did last night that he came in on. Believe I'm going to sit where I'm at tonight and see if he comes back I'll definitely be up and ready to shoot when I think he could begin coming through instead of being sitting like I was last night. If I don't see him tonight then I'm still in the perfect wind spot for tuesday
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:56 am

I'll let you all know how this learning process turns out!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:25 am

I'd wait for a similar wind and then sit the other tree. You know he goes out that way on the S wind, why risk it?

Folks forget that deer can and do check things out at night and that they can smell where we've been days after we've been there.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:43 pm

He was a no show tonight. Had a couple does walk the same path and she stopped in the same spot the buck did last night. She caught my wind but didn't blow just walked back to her bed. Gonna go back Tuesday when the wind is back to how it was last night.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:48 pm

thanks for keeping us posted. id say you've learned a lot about the wind in that specific spot.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 am

Quest1001 wrote:thanks for keeping us posted. id say you've learned a lot about the wind in that specific spot.

Absolutely I have. Going to get out early Tuesday evening and set up in a new tree about 50 yds closer to where I think he's bedding. This will be my last hunt here until the beginning of November
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 am

Moved slightly closer to his bedding area. Not as close as I wanted, it was much thicker than i expected and I am not for sure how far he is bedding up in the location. Passed up an 130" 9pt. Was a beautiful deer but a could tell by his body that he was very young. A small part of me wanted to let one fly, but i restrained myself. Done with this spot till around Nov. 1.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”