Michigan Bowhunting Pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Michigan Bowhunting Pressure

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 am

SidewayZ wrote:Guys I am not trolling, nor do I intend to disrespect any Michigan guys here. But all I have read since this was announced is how much pressure there will be and so far we haven't seen.

Also my original post was about bowhunting pressure and the others turned into later in the season.

So to get back on track all I am saying is it doesn't appear that bowhunting pressure is more overwhelming than what I have read or heard it to be.

I guess we will hear more as the challenge goes along and we will hear from the guys themselves.

Please dont twist this into as a disrespect. It's my opinion of what I have heard vs what the challenge has shown.

There was no need for your snarky post basically saying what a lot of us have experienced for ourselves and have posted about is wrong, especially after just watching 2 youtube videos. Like I said before, you dont know what your talking about

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:43 am

SidewayZ wrote:It is obvious that the heavy rain is going to be a game changer as least relative to Dan and Joes plan of finding water to hunt. But what we know is that from the hype surrounding the pressure in Michigan it had an effect on their initial plan to get deep and wet from the start. It seems the sign was were they thought it would be and they were seeing deer in those spots, then rain hit and those spots are changing. But from all the talk of how pressured it is there, they have only run into one other hunter and I havent heard any talk of seeing other hunter sign.

And from what I heard of how pressured it is I would thought much more hunter sign would have been found and also was expecting some film of parking area with trucks and that has not been the case.

And as far as gun hunting goes. Pennsylvania schools take the first day of gun season off, how much more pressure can Michigan be?

ALL HYPE!

I’d be willing to bet this Arby’s BBQ brisket sandwich and s’mores shake that if they would have stayed in they original location (without the leek) that you would see a whole different story. Can’t make one judgment on a YouTube video. And since you wanna being gun hunting into the equation I’ll take a picture of a public field edge on opening day of firearms and then you try to say all hype.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:53 am

Every body thinks the hunting pressure is bad. Some where near where they hunt. As far as the average bowhunter, hunting the rut. Yes it's going to be more crowded.

I'm pretty sure Michigan's human population is more than Wi's. So, because I've never hunted the populated areas of eastern and south eastern Wi. I can in no way relate to how pressured it gets there. But if most of the Beasts that hunt or have hunted there. Say it's crowded. I believe them. Michigan's heavy population areas have way more people than Wisconsin's.

Most hunters don't drive very far from home to hunt. So the closer to these population centers you get. The more pressure. I've seen dozens of vehicles in public parking areas at rut time. But don't think it's as bad as closer to the bigger cities.

By the end of this we'll see and hear how pressured it was from the challenge crew. Probably find out where some of the hunts took place.

Now everybody just put your egos aside and keep things cool!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:03 am

jmaas07 wrote:
SidewayZ wrote:Guys I am not trolling, nor do I intend to disrespect any Michigan guys here. But all I have read since this was announced is how much pressure there will be and so far we haven't seen.

Also my original post was about bowhunting pressure and the others turned into later in the season.

So to get back on track all I am saying is it doesn't appear that bowhunting pressure is more overwhelming than what I have read or heard it to be.

I guess we will hear more as the challenge goes along and we will hear from the guys themselves.

Please dont twist this into as a disrespect. It's my opinion of what I have heard vs what the challenge has shown.

There was no need for your snarky post basically saying what a lot of us have experienced for ourselves and have posted about is wrong, especially after just watching 2 youtube videos. Like I said before, you dont know what your talking about

Your right man it was too bold.

Instead of discrediting the pressure, I should have given them more credit for finding a way to avoid it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:07 am

stash59 wrote:Every body thinks the hunting pressure is bad. Some where near where they hunt. As far as the average bowhunter, hunting the rut. Yes it's going to be more crowded.

I'm pretty sure Michigan's human population is more than Wi's. So, because I've never hunted the populated areas of eastern and south eastern Wi. I can in no way relate to how pressured it gets there. But if most of the Beasts that hunt or have hunted there. Say it's crowded. I believe them. Michigan's heavy population areas have way more people than Wisconsin's.

Most hunters don't drive very far from home to hunt. So the closer to these population centers you get. The more pressure. I've seen dozens of vehicles in public parking areas at rut time. But don't think it's as bad as closer to the bigger cities.

By the end of this we'll see and hear how pressured it was from the challenge crew. Probably find out where some of the hunts took place.

Well I'm from PA and we have the highest hunter density in the country, so I win. :lol:

No one like other hunting pressure until it helps them kill a deer. :D I have often wondered how many of those crazy rut crazed bucks that are cruising were actually kicked up by another hunter a half mile away and are headed to another bedding area. :D
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:37 am

Fun read, I say those no good lazy guys in the UP have it way easier. Nothing but big bucks up there and no pressure, heck aint but a couple hundred wolves tops. They are the complainers, not us SE Michigan guys ;) . Wetfoot, I'm kidding. I catch more crap in the UP than I could ever give a UPer.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:11 pm

Pressure is hit or miss in Michigan. Not much pressure up north but not many deer or good deer either. I’ve seen bigger deer in far less time in Ohio and Kansas than in Mi.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm

After several years of cameras I’ve gotten my second Pope and young class deer. I have countless 1.5 and 2 year old bucks on cam
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Good example of MI pressure tonight. I go way back, probably a mile off the main road and a spot that's usually good. At 5:30 I hear a .22 shot about 100 yds away. Another 10 min later, another an hour later behind the bedding area, and then about 25 shots in succession right at primetime (30 min before dark). Shoulda just got down but figured maybe all the madness would kick one up to me. Dissapointing, but that's public land and small game hunters.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:14 pm

cspot wrote:
stash59 wrote:Every body thinks the hunting pressure is bad. Some where near where they hunt. As far as the average bowhunter, hunting the rut. Yes it's going to be more crowded.

Well I'm from PA and we have the highest hunter density in the country, so I win. :lol:

No one like other hunting pressure until it helps them kill a deer. :D I have often wondered how many of those crazy rut crazed bucks that are cruising were actually kicked up by another hunter a half mile away and are headed to another bedding area. :D

As someone who has hunted PA since 1987, I can totally relate! You don't pattern the deer, you pattern the hunters. Natural movement? Ha!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

The first season I hunted Michigan, my trip was a few days before the rifle opener...I carried my bow scouting.

I bumped into a number of locals. I had no idea what to expect so I was making conversation and asking.

"Oh man it'll be crazy...if you aren't hours early you aren't gunna be able to park...sounds like a war zone...looks like a pumpkin patch...I don't even hunt because there's bullets whizzing all around..."

I was beside myself. It actually sounded worse than what I grew up knowing in Pennsylvania when hunter #s where at an all time high and here reduction efforts just started...

Opening day I was hours early. Not a truck in sight. I hiked about a mile in which put me in a funnel in the center of this block.

No joke...after an hour of silence I panicked...I thought for SURE I read the regulations wrong thinking absolutely no way is this an opening day. It was. I don't think I heard double digits of shots all day. I didn't see a hunter. I didn't see pressured deer.

I've learned that local Intel can be good....but also might not be what it sounds.

I'm certain there are areas of crazy pressure. I believed the locals because i was on some of the only public in the area....but it wasn't the case by a long shot. 2nd opener up there was more of the same.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 am

mauser06 wrote:The first season I hunted Michigan, my trip was a few days before the rifle opener...I carried my bow scouting.

I bumped into a number of locals. I had no idea what to expect so I was making conversation and asking.

"Oh man it'll be crazy...if you aren't hours early you aren't gunna be able to park...sounds like a war zone...looks like a pumpkin patch...I don't even hunt because there's bullets whizzing all around..."

I was beside myself. It actually sounded worse than what I grew up knowing in Pennsylvania when hunter #s where at an all time high and here reduction efforts just started...

Opening day I was hours early. Not a truck in sight. I hiked about a mile in which put me in a funnel in the center of this block.

No joke...after an hour of silence I panicked...I thought for SURE I read the regulations wrong thinking absolutely no way is this an opening day. It was. I don't think I heard double digits of shots all day. I didn't see a hunter. I didn't see pressured deer.

I've learned that local Intel can be good....but also might not be what it sounds.

I'm certain there are areas of crazy pressure. I believed the locals because i was on some of the only public in the area....but it wasn't the case by a long shot. 2nd opener up there was more of the same.

Yaaaa. Growing up in pa I’ve bow hunted Michigan public twice. Pressure? Was nothing compared to what I know from archery and rifle in pa. Have a buddy who still lives in south west Michigan. I hunted in the sw and Central Part of the state with him and shot a nice buck each time. I invited him down to pa. He won’t come back haha. We hunted near state college in the big woods and northeastern part of the state.

Guess I’m used to it and know how to avoid people and over looked spot. He complained and moan and cried. Said it was insane compared to southern Michigan. I never had a problem getting on big deer once ya put the work in, but I put the work in. Most guys just like to complain when a mature deer doesn’t come down a beatin trail, 15 yards, broadside and it’s not alert....

I’m over all the talk of this state is better, this state sucks, this state has small deer. Just take your bows out in the woods and make something happen. Everything is perspective and each experience is what ya make it.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 am

Don't you Pennsylvania guys have Santa to boo or something?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:11 am

oldrank wrote:Don't you Pennsylvania guys have Santa to boo or something?

That was in Philadelphia. Most Pennsylvanians don't claim that part of the state. :D
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:13 am

mauser06 wrote:The first season I hunted Michigan, my trip was a few days before the rifle opener...I carried my bow scouting.

I will say that the hunting pressure in PA is dropping as well as we are losing hunters and isn't like it was in the 80's and 90's.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”