Indiana opening week public land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kcole1987

Indiana opening week public land

Unread postby kcole1987 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm from Western PA , rolling hills as far as the eye can see. And an occasional corn or soybean field. I came out here to Indiana to hunt public land, I had lease last year but got rid of that. I never walked this ground just cyber scouted hard. First walk in I jumped prob a 150 class buck in an area that I really didn't think a deer would be bedded in but after analysing it I could see why he was there. I noticed a couple light rubs about waist high I'm 6'2 . The next day I hunted close to this spot and had a smaller ten pointer come in from the total opposite direction of where I expected. He caught me moving I fudged that up. Meanwhile I'm doing walks during the day to look for sign/ get familiar with the area . Buck sign is almost non existent. I jumped a few smaller bucks on my walks in areas where I kinda had figured a buck would be bedded. But no sign. I mean none no rubs no scrapes nothing. I did find one huge bed with a bunch of old.rubs around it that had a ton of hair in it. The rest of the week left me with no opportunities at a buck. I feel like I was putting myself in the right areas but the no sign kinda had me perplexed. I did walk out through a corn field tonight and it was so torn up from deer sign I'm just wondering if they are hanging out in there. Bucks at home rub the crap out of trees even on public its just unfamiliar to me. Do you Midwest guys see this too ? And does sign pick up after crops are harvested ? I realize not every area is the same. Do you guys change your tactics back to hill country bedding set ups once crops are down ? This area was definitely hill country with a ton of crop land. Saw deer , bucks and does just couldn't find "hot" sign to save my life

John 6:47: "I'm telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of life.
kcole1987

Re: Indiana opening week public land

Unread postby kcole1987 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Also it was wicked dry here. Made it tough for identifying well used trails. I walked some creek bottoms and drainages where it was still damp and the lack of tracks is also what's making me think they are hanging up in the corn alot. Planning another hunt out here pre rut/rut time frame .
John 6:47: "I'm telling you the most solemn and sober truth now: Whoever believes in me has real life, eternal life. I am the Bread of life.
Cutter

Re: Indiana opening week public land

Unread postby Cutter » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:08 pm

I hunt public in so. Indiana. A lot of the sign is made in the next two weeks. The first week of October does not yield much pre-rut sign. The wheels are just starting to turn now. With the cold front we just got down here last night the games have began.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”