Canoe or Kayak?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scott/IL

Re: Canoe or Kayak?

Unread postby Scott/IL » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 am

For the guys with sit in kayaks, do you have tips for strapping your gear to your ‘yaks? I’m new to it, and only used it once (cheap 10 footer) and the spot I wanted to go was better suited for ground hunting. Even with only my bow and a jacket, I was paranoid with how I had everything strapped down. If I add my stand and sticks to it, it will be downright crowded.

Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:27 am

Scott/IL wrote:For the guys with sit in kayaks, do you have tips for strapping your gear to your ‘yaks? I’m new to it, and only used it once (cheap 10 footer) and the spot I wanted to go was better suited for ground hunting. Even with only my bow and a jacket, I was paranoid with how I had everything strapped down. If I add my stand and sticks to it, it will be downright crowded.

I drilled holes in the top of my sit in and put nite ize gear ties through the holes that I drilled. Then I use those like twist ties to tie my stand and sticks down.
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 am

make sure to tie a float or tie your gear to the boat. there is a Mathews bow and all my packed gear on the bottom of a lake.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 am

ouachitamac wrote:make sure to tie a float or tie your gear to the boat. there is a Mathews bow and all my packed gear on the bottom of a lake.

Dude that down right sucks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 pm

cwoods wrote:
ouachitamac wrote:make sure to tie a float or tie your gear to the boat. there is a Mathews bow and all my packed gear on the bottom of a lake.

Dude that down right sucks.

Might be worth picking up a big treble hook and going fishing for your bow.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32795920434.html
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 am

with the adrenalin going at the time it happened, I never thought of the stuff sinking until I was onshore flipping the boat back over. I know a general area where the stuff is, and have some scuba connections. I plan on getting it back, just turned cold on me (this happened about 2-3 weeks ago) and am either going to wait on warmer weather soon, or just wait till spring. When I find her, ill do a full restore on bearings and strings, too much history at that point to ever sell. I think I could shoot a switchback xt the rest of my life. lol
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:27 am

That is another reason I prefer a canoe, way less tippy than my kayak.
FLSkullHunter

Unread postby FLSkullHunter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:45 am

Have both,definitely prefer the 14’ fiberglass canoe. Usually solo hunts and camping so like the space and options.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am

Lost my cell phone to the lake this morning but it's not the kayaks fault. Not the best way to bring in November but, atleast the hunting was good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”