Advice Please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

krejcard
Facebook: David Krejcarek

Advice Please

Unread postby krejcard » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:35 am

This is my first year bow hunting and I have been hunting this property the last month, since Sept 14th. I have seen a deer twice (opening day and 2 weeks ago), the yellow stands are were I have seen deer from. The two white stand symbols are where i have hunted from and not seen any. There are lots of red and white oaks through out this property. There are several pine areas (I have circled those in brown). From some of my early season scouting I have seen some trails, which I marked as brown dots. The two fields on the left are both planted with Corn. I know that there are some other hunters who hunt over in that general area, I found a tail camera and stand, both marked in black.

Looking for some help on some ideas on where to hunt from and under what wind direction it would be ideal. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Advice Please

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am

Welcome

First off - what deer did you see and what winds did you see them?

Secondly - tread lightly. This is a small piece and hunting it too much will hurt it. Deer will start coming out later, scent checking spots or just move. Hunt 2 days, give it 3-5 off. Or maybe you get some rain and get a free pass.
Minco13
Facebook: None

Unread postby Minco13 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 am

This time of year they just switched from summer patterns. Aerial scout the whole area looking for white oaks. If you know where they bed you can pick up their rub line between their bedding and their food source
so you can enter, set up, and hunt all in one day and get out like DK said. I would not go in there again without aerial scouting for sure and never if the wind is not in your favor for entry and set up. Good luck to you
Smiles are Contagious.
krejcard
Facebook: David Krejcarek

Unread postby krejcard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 am

I Appreciate the responses. So far i have seen two small bucks, the first time was Sept 14 @ about 8am and the wind was from the South West, around 2mph. The second was on 9/21 at about 5pm the wind was out of the sw too. Both were moving from the south to the north.

I have been trying to typically hunt one day on the weekend, and one day after work during the week. Been trying to go with I think other hunters wouldn't be there, ie after work, or on a rainy day etc.

From all my scouting I have seen a ton of oaks, they seem to be mostly red, with some white sprinkled in. If I find a white oak should i try to sit there and if I don't see one move to the next one?

Also, from a wind standpoint do bucks (or any deer) move along a hill with the wind coming over the top, along the trail, or from the bottom up?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”