Thoughts on hunting shows...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Thoughts on hunting shows...

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:05 pm

The only show i really watch is midwest or drurys. Drurys is good because they seem to know what there doing. They are getting too much into pushing their product though. Red arrow, that guy is funny and its entertaining to watch and his advertisements are tolerable rather than hitting skip 30 on the dvr....whitetail freaks, what a joke. That show has to name a specific product every 10 seconds. Its ridiculous.
Then, i watched THP on the michigan challenge. Man these guys are REAL hunters i can relate to..they work, scout, plan, and its fun to watch. Honestly embarrassing to the other shows. Its real hunting, on film. Makes the other shows look like a spectacle, and not in a good way.
Im not knocking the other guys personally, but clearly.money is their priority, or their editors or whoever plans that garbage.

treeroot
500 Club

Re: Thoughts on hunting shows...

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:24 pm

I watch all of Dan's videos, and THP. I also watch meateater but I'm not sure I classify that as a hunting show. Everything else mainstream wise is like looking through a cabelas catalog to me.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:41 pm

treeroot wrote:I watch all of Dan's videos, and THP. I also watch meateater but I'm not sure I classify that as a hunting show. Everything else mainstream wise is like looking through a cabelas catalog to me.

I just watched the one w Dan in it also. I think it was THP. The recent one from michigan. Watched a couple others and they are good also. Dans videos are always good.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm

I watched Drurys in the early days as they were pretty down to earth. Nowadays they hunt such low pressure, intensely managed farms with enormous old bucks seemingly everywhere, that I can’t relate to them anymore at all. That and 90% of their hunts were from box blinds which doesn’t make for an enjoyable viewing experience. And then listening to them pimp biologic and treecoys and I just can’t handle them anymore. More than anything, I’m watching them kill multiple bucks every year that I have no realistic shot of seeing and much less killing. I don’t want to be disappointed shooting a buck because I watch booner after booner go down in zero pressure Iowa. Youtube stuff for me: Catman, THP and of course the HB.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Hal blood dvd's
Benoits dvd's
Dan infalt dvd's
Best of all whitetail adreniline dvd's

Thats the only hunting worth watching in my opinion
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Randy Newbergs show on YouTube and Amazon is pretty good. I like that they show the misses and hunts where they come up empty.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Dan, THP, Hushing, Born and Raised Outdoors. Those last two came from my time out west, but they put out dsng good quality videos and are just normal dudes. The hushing guys linked up with THP also last year.
-Rick
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:59 pm

I watch Dan and THP mostly.
I am into the "how to do it", more than watching a kill shot and then pumping of the fist with "I smoked him!"
I mean I get excited when things go my way and I understand that, but those guys just don't hunt under the same circumstances as most of us do.
I don't hunt to kill things, there is so much more to it than that, so that is not what I want to watch.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:25 pm

I don't even have the outdoor channel anymore. I watch all of my stuff on youtube, and dvd's.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 pm

I always liked Heartland Bowhunter. They at least attempt a storyline instead of 20 minutes of absurd product pimping then a kill shot. I no longer get outdoor channel and really don't miss it. I watch most of the THP deer stuff. The vlog style shows toe a fine line between too much content yapping about this and that, but THP does a pretty good job of walking that line and their filmography and editing is head and shoulders above most of the youtube content.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:52 pm

I don't watch much on t.v. anymore. I want to learn something from it and half the time or more, they don't even show you where the arrow hit. That and the commercials.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:25 am

THP, Dan, Solo Hunter, Fresh Tracks
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:31 am

elk yinzer wrote:I always liked Heartland Bowhunter. They at least attempt a storyline instead of 20 minutes of absurd product pimping then a kill shot. I no longer get outdoor channel and really don't miss it. I watch most of the THP deer stuff. The vlog style shows toe a fine line between too much content yapping about this and that, but THP does a pretty good job of walking that line and their filmography and editing is head and shoulders above most of the youtube content.

I've always enjoyed their show. Production quality seems to be top notch. I'd like to see a little more on the tactics side but you can only cram so much into 20 minutes. I haven't really watched much Outdoor channel in a few years but I'm sure HB is still pretty entertaining.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:05 am

There are basically only 3 “TV” hunting shows I watch anymore. Meat eater, Jim Shockey, Tim Wells Relentless Pursuit. I can’t stand any of the whitetail shows, they are so unreal. But there are a ton of good YouTube shows. THP, Hunting Beast, catman outdoors, Shane Simpson, Diy Sportsman, the Untamed. All great great real hunting shows.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:09 am

Hard to keep up with everything, basically just like watching The Public Land challenge and few random youtubers on the beast and Dan's vids but just no time to keep up with everything else.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”