Venison tricks and Treats..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

IndyDawg

Re: Venison tricks and Treats..

Unread postby IndyDawg » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:36 am

Missionshooter wrote:I wanna try sous vide. I just dont know how to season it.

You can season your sous vide in basically any of the ways you already season your meat. Dry rub ingredients prior to putting it in your baggies... marinade can go in your vacuum bag or you can remove the marinaded cut and put it in a fresh bag... throw your herbs and some olive oil in with the cut and vac out the air...

Super versatile, and since the cut is always cooked perfectly you'll almost always be happy with the result.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:38 am

Ok, I think a slick head is the order of the day because y’all have made me crave venison in a serious way.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 am

Boogieman1 wrote:All I have to offer is I always give the neck to this Hispanic lady down the road in return for some tamales made from it. Suckers are mucho Bueno.

I need someone like that in my life - real tamales are amazing. One of my favorites right now is summer sausage with pepper jack cheese in it. It's a big motivator for me.

Venison heart is dang good. Maybe no one else has mentioned it because it's too obvious, or you guys all shoot your deer through the heart. Either way, might be my favorite part of a deer to eat. Just needs a pinch of salt and pepper and a little (real little) quality time with some fire.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:52 am

Drenalin wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:All I have to offer is I always give the neck to this Hispanic lady down the road in return for some tamales made from it. Suckers are mucho Bueno.

I need someone like that in my life - real tamales are amazing. One of my favorites right now is summer sausage with pepper jack cheese in it. It's a big motivator for me.

Venison heart is dang good. Maybe no one else has mentioned it because it's too obvious, or you guys all shoot your deer through the heart. Either way, might be my favorite part of a deer to eat. Just needs a pinch of salt and pepper and a little (real little) quality time with some fire.

Never had venison heart, but had fresh beef heart after the slaughter of a bull that broke his leg. Andbby fresh I mean a couple hours. So tasty.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 am

Worstechire & minced garlic backstraps, seasoned & tenderized inner loins, and salt/pepper sliced heart.

Grill is at 400° and climbing. Sear sear sear and serve.

20191004_172506.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:35 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Drenalin wrote:

Never had venison heart, but had fresh beef heart after the slaughter of a bull that broke his leg. Andbby fresh I mean a couple hours. So tasty.

Store down the road from me sells fresh beef heart for pretty cheap. Think $3-4 a pound. Been buying beef shanks for cheap and loving them so I might try the heart once. Easier to experiment with than venison when I can’t shoot a deer to save my life.

My venison treat is throw it in cast iron with mushrooms, onions, bacon, butter and blackberry wine. Usually use some leg/sirloin cuts.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:02 am

You guys are killing me. My freezer went empty two years ago so I have a hunger for venison like you wouldn’t believe. As much as I hate to I might have to kill a doe if my buck tag doesn’t get filled real soon. :doh:
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Dewey wrote:You guys are killing me. My freezer went empty two years ago so I have a hunger for venison like you wouldn’t believe. As much as I hate to I might have to kill a doe if my buck tag doesn’t get filled real soon. :doh:

Here I am giving both the kids deers away... cept for the straps
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Dewey wrote:You guys are killing me. My freezer went empty two years ago so I have a hunger for venison like you wouldn’t believe. As much as I hate to I might have to kill a doe if my buck tag doesn’t get filled real soon. :doh:

I couldn’t live like that. If I had to pick between antlers and meat, I’d shoot does the rest of my life. Different strokes and all that. Maybe we should start a sort of venison go fund me on here and get you stocked up?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Drenalin wrote:

I couldn’t live like that. If I had to pick between antlers and meat, I’d shoot does the rest of my life. Different strokes and all that. Maybe we should start a sort of venison go fund me on here and get you stocked up?

That’s not necessary. If I wanted some bad enough I could easily take out a doe in an easier to access spot. Not wasting my energy dragging a doe out of the wet and nasty stuff.

OK. Enough about me. Back on topic. :lol:
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Cowboy cut venison tenderloin

Venison Osso Buco
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Yep, something is about to hit the dirt. Those cowboy cut steaks were the last straw!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”