Odd hunting addictions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Odd hunting addictions.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:23 am

I was just wondering what types of odd hunting addictions you guys have. For Am hunts I prep the night before.

This year hunting from a Mantis I made it my goal to find a quiet bottle that fit in my Sys hauler side pocket after buying about 20 types I settled on these 2.

Sparking Ice bottles are the best and quietest on the market I've found.they run about 99 cents at doller general. The other is a mini Gatorade bottle it is louder but lighter if that's your thing.

I purchased 4 of each bottle and change them out every night. I refill them all once a week. So I already have a beverage for the heat. 3am is not the time to remember things luckily it's already in my saddle.

My hunting bevs I mix up powerade, Gatorade and normal water.
My favorite cereal bar is Golden Grahams. s'mores careful the chocolate melts I often eat one or two while driving to the hunting area. I like Nutri Grain bars alot they go well in my saddle. .

I take cereal bars, Nutri Grain bars, cheese its, all unwrapped and put in quiet containers. Chocolate melts so it's a no go. Pop tarts dont go well in a saddle just fyi tried that.

All things in my saddle are kept in a specific place.

20191003_101557.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Odd hunting addictions.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:48 am

Keep snacks in your truck.
I'm sure the hunting public keeps cases of snacks for trips.
Small pringles , cheese its. Pretzel packs, peanuts are in mine and go with me on my scouting trips and hunts.

This is my saddle gear for a typical hunt.
Bevs change, food changes , cottonballs-milkweed.

Amsteel is my tether and a simple thing of paracord is my bow holder.
20191003_105406.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:53 am

Not relevant entirely, but I know guys that go grocery shopping the night before a hunt. Then pack it all out to the woods the next day. :lol: :lol: They also haven't shot a deer in 9 years...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 am

Cutter wrote:Not relevant entirely, but I know guys that go grocery shopping the night before a hunt. Then pack it all out to the woods the next day. :lol: :lol: They also haven't shot a deer in 9 years...

In our 90 degree heat really can't hunt without a bev.
I go in doller general about once every 2 weeks.
If a deer is downwind it's going to smell you.
So I think food and water theres no reason not to take.

As far as them not killing deer that's a bad hunter issue lol

If it doesnt fit in my sys hauler I don't need it for bow hunting.
I will carry a pack during rut or rain days.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:05 am

I like the platypus water bladders. Usually I use the hose to be able to take a drink without taking anything out of my pack at all. Fits nicely into the hydration pouch of my pack. Only problem with that is below freezing the hose freezes up pretty quick. I'm also somewhat paranoid of getting a hole in it and soaking everything in my pack but 5 plus years of abuse has not happened yet.

I don't eat much at all when I hunt even all day. Maybe an apple and a granola bar mid day.

When I start burning the candle at both ends I run on 5 hour energy and grizzly wintergreen.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:10 am

elk yinzer wrote:I like the platypus water bladders. Usually I use the hose to be able to take a drink without taking anything out of my pack at all. Fits nicely into the hydration pouch of my pack. Only problem with that is below freezing the hose freezes up pretty quick. I'm also somewhat paranoid of getting a hole in it and soaking everything in my pack but 5 plus years of abuse has not happened yet.

I don't eat much at all when I hunt even all day. Maybe an apple and a granola bar mid day.

When I start burning the candle at both ends I run on 5 hour energy and grizzly wintergreen.

I never liked the plastic taste of water bladders. I have a Camelback in my pack 1.5l. Not sure if all water bladders taste like plastic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”