Need help with In season scouting for mature bucks for next season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Denisboyko22

Need help with In season scouting for mature bucks for next season

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Since I tagged out early I have been scouting around and trying to figure out new spots to go check out and setup trail cameras to get eyes on a mature buck, problem is where I hunt theres little swamp and the swamp there is is loaded with thorns and trees throughout it so it would be very hard to pin point an exact area to hunt like an oak island because there isn't any and on the higher ground its ridges but there is hiking trails that go through all of the ridges . If I get eyes on a mature bucks through bumping him or getting him on trail camera I could pin point him down pretty easily but my problem I have now is trying to find a mature buck to pin point for next year or try to get him during gun . I have trail cameras just set wildly through some ridges hoping I can get eyes on a mature buck but I have trouble with knowing where to set up the trail cameras on ridges where there isn't any open fields. Do I look for high rubs? , I've noticed not many rubs throught the 10 miles I walked today , the deer in the area dont really rub that much and it's pretty pressured land so I try to look for over looked spots , what is your experiences with overlooked spots for mature bucks? I've heard along the road and such but it's sometimes hard to know what's overlooked and what isn't when I've never been to the area before, I just need help getting eyes on mature bucks in ridges and small sections of mixed marsh but there isn't any high spots that overlook parking areas either

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Need help with In season scouting for mature bucks for next season

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:44 pm

I would keep looking for sign of a big buck. If you’re not finding sign keep moving until you do. Drive to different areas if you need to. If the pressure is high you won’t have many mature bucks unless they have a good place to go to go unnoticed.
If there is a spot you really don’t want to go that’s the first place I would look.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Jdw wrote:I would keep looking for sign of a big buck. If you’re not finding sign keep moving until you do. Drive to different areas if you need to. If the pressure is high you won’t have many mature bucks unless they have a good place to go to go unnoticed.
If there is a spot you really don’t want to go that’s the first place I would look.

Thank you and yeah I'll probably have to drive around more , do the mature bucks start rubbing trees up this early in the year ? I've seen alot of younings rub trees so far but nothing over hip high
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm

I don’t see much for big aggressively rubbed trees this early. Most of the velvet rubs I see are on smaller trees. But it won’t be long until the rubbing gets more aggressive.
Big tracks or poop can point you in the right direction.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:30 pm

I don't see much for rubs either. What I would do is make your best guess for bedding according to the map. If you find big tracks then obviously set a cam but not so close you booger him. Keep scouting until you find big tracks. If you find a spot that looks awesome but there's no big buck sign yet, set a cam and leave it for a few months. If there's nothing there now but there's sign from years past (old rubs), chances are something will hole up in there at some point.

Keep in mind, no single Beast member or even collection of comments will be figure it out for you. Take the advice given but keep an open mind and figure out what works for YOU. IT TAKES YEARS. If you've read the Q&A's, its crazy how different tactics can be for each guy, yet they all lay down slobs consistently. :think: if the effort is there, soon enough you'll have your own recipe for success.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Try to find scrapes, even on or near the hiking trails. Set cams at least 8' high in a tree, overlooking the scrape. Most pics will be at night. If shooter bucks are around you'll at least get some inventory. Depending on time of pics. Within an hour of daylight. Bedding should fairly be close by. And help you pick which bedding you cyber scouted, to inspect for further mature buck sign/use.

Agree with the other comments too.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”