Backpack straps hanging off stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

Backpack straps hanging off stand?

Unread postby jrain904 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 am

Just bought the XOP Treestand Transport System and installed on my LW assault and it is larger than I had imagined. I am wondering if people think that this large strap system hanging off the bottom of my stand is a bad idea as far as deer seeing it is concerned. It attaches via quick clips so I can remove it from stand and leave at the base of tree if needed. Only concern about leaving on ground is the idea that I sweat on the straps on the pack in and thus leave a lot of scent on the ground.

peteherbst

Re: Backpack straps hanging off stand?

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:45 am

Scent on the ground is better than scent in the air. I used to have this system and it’s solid for those long hikes. Taking it off is likely your best bet if you don’t have a lot of cover. But I would leave it on when I had one if cover was good.
“You have to pay your dues”
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:51 am

peteherbst wrote:Scent on the ground is better than scent in the air. I used to have this system and it’s solid for those long hikes. Taking it off is likely your best bet if you don’t have a lot of cover. But I would leave it on when I had one if cover was good.

Thanks for the quick response. I figured this would be a gamechanger for those long hikes up and down mountains in WV this year. I am a flatlander (live in FL) so I need all the help I can get!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:01 am

Take it off or secure under the stand better if you can. As far as scent goes it won’t matter if it’s laying on the ground or in the tree. Your scent is already there anyway.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:05 am

If you use bungees to attach/secure your stick to the stand for packing. Just use them to "cinch" the straps tighter to the stand, while hunting.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:38 am

stash59 wrote:If you use bungees to attach/secure your stick to the stand for packing. Just use them to "cinch" the straps tighter to the stand, while hunting.

This.

Tuck them up tight. Their movement can get their attention and spook them. The movement of their shadow can also spook a deer.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:56 pm

First glance I thought you said backstraps hanging off stand.......yum!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:09 am

I don’t believe it matters much. I never ever worry about it and I rarely ever get picked off by deer.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 am

The last 2 does I shot have been directly under my stand, I use the Molle straps and hip belt on my stand. I just let them hang down. Secure that back cover to break up your setup and you will not have a problem. If you want it for your own confidence, then like they said above secure them with the bungees you use for your sticks.
Extreme Effort Only
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:54 am

I have the same system, it is great. I use to take it off, but now, in all reality, I may put some boughs in there for cover, etc, maybe in Florida, which I know nothing about, you could stick some palm leaves or something..... It really does not matter, but when I use it in the hardwoods of the bluff country of Wisconsin, I would snap it off, and just lay it on the ground......depends on where I hunt

It sure is a great way to carry a stand though
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 am

by the time they pick off ur straps there already in shooting range and ur drawn back.
I worry much more about the straps on my sticks I wrap them so there not swinging against the tree.
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:10 am

PK_ wrote:I don’t believe it matters much. I never ever worry about it and I rarely ever get picked off by deer.

Agree with PK, Lots of things to worry about, this wouldn’t be one of them for me.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:17 am

Yes, if hunting in a naked tree, using the bungees to secure them tight to the stand is a good idea. If it is windy out and a somewhat naked tree, I believe the Molle straps I use stick out like a sore thumb.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 am

It’s a trade off I’m willing to accept. If I can carry a stand comfortably longer I’ll take my chances with a swinging strap spooking a deer. When I’ve gotten picked off in a tree I’ve never thought it was the straps that did me in. Usually a bonehead move at the wrong time or caught not paying attention.

I’d rather be able to scout with the stand on my back or take that long hike in relative comfort than have the straps digging in my shoulders. I’ll pay the price of swinging straps.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”