Most Forgettable Hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
The_Real_Jmill

Re: Most Forgettable Hunt?

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:49 am

Was down in a cedar tree in a swamp with high buck traffic trying to self film. Heard the buck coming from across the swamp chasing a couple doe. They approached from behind me, does appeared first and walked to my left so I spun the camera to film them/were I though he would go and readied myself for a shot. Moments later he appeared 15yards directly behind me and stopped and instead of following the does he headed to my right which was thick over that way. So instead of just turning and shooting through the only opening I had I tried to adjust the camera and get drawn back all at once which I just didn't have the time. By the time I was drawn he stopped for a moment behind the thicket and instead of letting down I tried to force a shot and ended up hitting the rear of the deer. Never did find the deer but learned to never force a shot again.......it woulda been the biggest deer I had harvested with a bow.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:53 am

That’s an easy one. Last year when I chased that nice buck down with my muzzleloader. The way it all worked out was awesome! Had him dead to rights under 100 yards, only to shoot one orange spark out the barrel.

Mark your ram rods people :lol: absolutely would have double checked if it was marked.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:05 am

<DK> wrote:
muddy wrote:Utter sorrow.

Great wording

I'm a poet. Just ask seaz.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:26 am

I don't forget those kind of hunts. They haunt me and drive me. All the shoulda, coulda, woulda.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:00 am

Dewey wrote:Bow hunting I can’t think of too many forgettable hunts because they old hold good memories except the two bucks I never recovered. That part obviously sucks but the hunt leading up to those moments were very exciting so I don’t want to forget that.

Easily my most forgettable day was during the rifle season. I had one of the biggest bucks I ever saw in the northwoods standing broadside at 30 yards. Lined up my crosshairs already thinking about how nice he would look hanging on the game pole, pulled the trigger and CLICK.......No BOOM. My rifle miss-fired. :doh:

By the time I cycled another round in he didn’t like all the commotion and was gone out of my life. :cry:

Worst part is that happened before with that rifle but that hunt was the final straw. I sold it and bought a new rifle shortly after.

Mine is almost an exact duplicate. Maybe not the biggest I ever saw, but a nice one for my standards. Entry was perfect. Got in completely clean, hung out for a few hours and then stalked back in a way opposite from what everyone else does there. A complete surprise attack and I had it dead to rights. Crosshairs perfect, trigger squeeze perfect... No boom. Dented cap.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:41 am

I fell in a creek in below freezing weather before daylight.
Broke my muzzleloader scope.
My flashlight fell in creek and died.
Muzzleloader filled with water and was unusable.
I took off my clothes because they weighed so much from gallons of water and was freezing.

Ran to the truck wearing nothing with no light in the dark.
Had no change of clothes in vehicle and couldn't go into a store with nothing on.

Drove 2 hours home wearing nothing afraid I would get pulled over by the police. Thinking how am I going to explain this noone will ever believe me.

It was a day I look back on and just laugh but at the time it was a really bad hunt.

I now keep a change of clothes in my vehicle at all times.
One things for sure I will never forget it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:00 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I fell in a creek in below freezing weather before daylight.
I took off my clothes because they weighed so much from gallons of water and was freezing.

Had no change of clothes in vehicle and couldn't go into a store with nothing on.

Drove 2 hours home wearing nothing afraid I would get pulled over by the police. Thinking how am I going to explain this noone will ever believe me.

It was a day I look back on and just laugh but at the time it was a really bad hunt.

LOL oh man that is a rough one. Glad you're okay and can laugh about it now.

Most worst scenario was having a shooter 15 yards in front of me and not realizing the scope was zoomed all the way in. It was early in my hunting career and I just blanked. I laugh about it now ..sorta.. still can't believe I did that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:03 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I fell in a creek in below freezing weather before daylight.

Sounds like half my hunts. :lol:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I was bowhunting one afternoon it was my second season bowhunting. I had a very old bow and was only good to about 25 yards anyway. This raccoon wandered up and I had a field tip on one of my arrows for practice or squirrels. I made the most regrettable decision in my bowhunting career and shot that raccoon in the face. He let out confused squeal and ran off with my arrow sticking through his face. That was the last time I ever carried anything but broad heads while deer hunting.

I still wish to this day that I could take that arrow back. I absolutely learned what kind of hunter I didn’t want to be that day.

An unfortunate ending but powerful lesson!!! I remember something similar happening to me at about 12 years old. It was a rabbit though. I remember thinking the same thing you just said - learned what kind of hunter I didn’t want to be.

Thanks for sharing that. Ill never forget mine either. Honestly, I pulled alot of dumb stuff with my bow bc there was no one there teaching me the wrong way to do things.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Brought the old lady bow huninting.
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 pm

51years ago I was 12, first year with gun. Single shot 12 gage.Walking down a loging road with friend.There is snow on the ground.A doe walks out in front of us and stops, we have a party permit.I tell my friend I'll shoot, he says no I'll shoot. So he shoots and it moves just before he shoots and he breaks its back.Its on the road, front legs holding up the front of the deer. Its blating real loud.Now I've never seen anything like this.He yells at me to shoot so I have my single shot shotgun and I start blasting at the doe about 40yards away.I can't remember how many times I shot but I think it was 3 to 5 times.I never hit the doe.When he said shoot, he started to shoot also But he was shooting at the buck that was behind the doe.It came running across the road behind us, He missed it 3 times .It slipped and fell and slid across the road behind us and ran off.He asked me if I shot at the buck and I said what buck.he showed where it slid across the road right behind me. Then he asked what I was shooting at.I think my eyes were the size of basketballs.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:11 pm

I've got 2 that come to mind both bad hits

The worst I was hunting behind where I was living at the time in about a acre of woods. It was the monday night before gun season and I Wasn't hunting for a buck just anything that gave me a shot would get it. The stand was only 75 yards out my back door. I got home from work and practically ran out to my stand for the last 45 of light. I was only in the tree maybe 10 minutes and a doe came busting over the ridge in front of me. I was fully prepared to kill that doe when I heard a grunt behind her then saw a very large bodied buck with somewhere around 150 inches of antler on his head. Everything went perfect. He trotted right to a wide open lane at 15 yards and I stopped him perfectly. Settled my pin and squeezed off what I thought was the perfect shot thru the perfect shooting lane but I failed to see the only stick about an inch in diameter between me and the deer but my arrow hit it square on then the arrow ended up hitting him in the right rear leg around his ankle. I was devastated and still think about that. If I only took an extra half second that stick was very easily visible. Too make matters worse I went to my "good" spot opening day of rifle while my dad walked out behind my house and shot a 160 inch 9 point at 8 am. That wasn't the buck I hit earlier in the week either. I sat all day and never saw a deer that day either. Lol
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Two really come to mind for me.

First was a good three year old that would have been my first non-yearling with a bow. Shot instinctive at the time and he came cruising right like he read the script. Drew and shot and thought I made a perfect hit. Must have been just an inch or two forward and clipped the front of the lungs. Got down after 15 minutes and hearing him go down at like 70 yards thinking I'd be walking up to a dead buck. Must have jumped him getting down. Backed out when I didn't find him and came back a few hours later and followed light blood after the bed for half a mile before he go it some oaks a big flock of trukeys was feeding in turning leaves over. Never found more blood and grid searched the rest of the day and next day and never found him.

Second one I've posted a couple of times and probably my worst overall day hunting. Bad break-up from the college girlfriend in October, decided to head north to hunt with my dad to try and get my mind right. Leave work in time to get an hour sit in. Twenty minutes after I'm set-up an absolute tank of a buck is sauntering down the creek flat right to me. Oh man, its all turning around...15 yard broadside gimme no idea I was there. Never really aimed and shaved hair off of his back and watched him run out of my life. Probably a 150-ish base 9 with some trash and well over 200 dressed. It was a full bottle of Jack kind of night.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:18 pm

802bowhunter wrote:Brought the old lady bow huninting.

:lol:
There's got to be more to that story...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 pm

802bowhunter wrote:Brought the old lady bow huninting.

LOL!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”