How many have their own tracking dog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ouachitamac

How many have their own tracking dog

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:48 am

We use our little red dachshund to find all our deer. he gets lots of practice, with my kids, wife, dad, father in law, uncle, and myself all shooting deer each year. this will be his fourth season. "Charles the red" does a wonderful job. I started him as a puppy, making sure he was hungry, then mixing water with his food and dripping a track out so he had to find it. I did this for a while, once or twice a week, till season started. We got him at 12 weeks old on labor day weekend. when he was tracking well with his dog food, I swapped to the remnant of deer blood in frozen venison we cooked. With his dog food, or some other treat at the end, he was always happy to hunt them down. Then, the first day of archery season, I shot a doe and saw her fall, maybe 50 yards. I went and got Charlie, he tracked straight to her. He has tracked nearly 20 deer over the past three seasons. Yesterday, I gave him a track from some ribeye steak scraps, just to make sure he still knows whats up. He found it easily. I find myself looking forward to this aspect of the hunt almost as much as the rest of it now.

ouachitamac

Re: How many have their own tracking dog

Unread postby ouachitamac » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 am

Screenshot_20190928-075230_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190928-075705_YouTube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”