Michigan Info for Non Residents coming to the THP challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Michigan Info for Non Residents coming to the THP challenge

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:48 pm

I am providing some general information for those Non Residents of MI, in the hope that you don't get surprised by a foreign rule Like I did a few years back when I went to MN

1. I have never heard/read that Non-residents can't purchase a tag and hunt immediately in MI even if the season started. This happened to me in MN.

2. You will need to purchase A DNR sports card. I recommend putting it somewhere for future use if you intend to put in for bear preference points, otherwise they are only $1.

3. When you get your tag and sportscard grab the hunting guide. There are antler point restrictions in the center of the book in a chart/illustration that will tell you based on where you are, what you can shoot, in what season. It is handy to have for reference. There will be much discussion amongst all of you. Referring to the guide will be very helpful.

4. Costs. DNR sports card $1, NR Base licence $151, Deer kill tag (good for antlerless or buck during archery with some exceptions see guide book) $20. Deer Combo kill tag $190. Very important, You have to decide before you buy your tag if you want the single tag, or the combo (2 kill tags). Michigan is a two buck state, BUT you CAN NOT purchase a single, go kill a buck, then return to a license dealer and say that you want another. The system wont sell it to you. You can purchase multiple doe licenses by deer management unit based on availability. First one is $20, after that $170 each.

5. You can leave a stand up overnight on public land. To do so you are supposed to put name, address, DNR sportscard or license #. Check book for exact info that needs to go on it.

6. Non residents born after 1960 must show proof of hunter safety or show a previous hunting license. I would recommend digging up an old hunting license if you don't know where your hunter safety is. However, they have a waiver statement, or affidavit that you just say you took it, and it will go through. I have never not been sold a license for not showing either of these two items. In the rare instance that someone where to hastle you, just go to another store.

7. I don't like the online system, some of you younger guys may do all this online before you come. License dealers are nearly everywhere. Meijer Grocery stores, hardware stores, party stores (that is where you get your beer and booze, and they are everywhere and open on Sundays), archery shops, general hunting shops like Jays,

8. Which brings us to beer. It is sold everywhere, on Sunday, no 3.2, no warm beer from gas stations, REMEMBER though each can bottle has a deposit of 10cents, so that is $3 for you 30 pack guys. Simply empty 30 pack in cooler, keep box, stack empties neatly in box, return empties for your $3 deposit when you purchase your next one tomorrow. I did not like it when I first moved here, but it is a wonderful law. You don't see cans bottles laying around, they get picked up, unlike fast food trash.

9. Your base license also entitles you to small game, grouse is open as well as many others. Page 57 NR must have a fur harvester license to hunt or trap coyotes. I don't see a listed license and price on page 6 though. You would have to inquire further on cost when you buy your base, kill tages, and DNR card

Here is something from an email I just got on baiting and antler point restrictions

Important reminders: baiting/feeding and antler point restrictions
Baiting and feeding is banned in the entire Lower Peninsula and the Core CWD Surveillance Area in the Upper Peninsula.

Exception: Hunters with disabilities who meet specific requirements
may use bait, during the Liberty and Independence Hunts only, in areas where baiting is banned. See pages 33–34 of the 2019 Hunting Digest.
See pages 44 and 50 of the 2019 Hunting Digest for additional information about the baiting and feeding bans.
Antler point restrictions (APR)

Montcalm, Mecosta and Ionia counties have new APRs.
Be sure to check the APR chart before heading out this year:
Lower Peninsula APR chart, see pages 42-43 of the 2019 Hunting Digest.
Upper Peninsula APR chart, see pages 48-49 of the 2019 Hunting Digest.

Here is a link to the digest
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/ ... 1177_7.pdf

Anyway enjoy your hunt, be safe, and much luck to all. I think this is great. I will add to it if I think of something a NR should know. And others feel free to add some General information or correct anything that I may have stated.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Michigan Info for Non Residents coming to the THP challenge

Unread postby Tim H » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:19 am

Great information Lou!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 am

thanks for posting that lou!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:01 am

Great summary and recap for non residents Lou !
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:47 am

Probably kept some of the THP challenge guys out of the hoosgow with that post Lou!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Great summary and recap for non residents Lou !

Bridge, I think you may have some traveling over as well for your BEAST Challenge, pardon my manners. Of course I am interested in the deer hunting in both challenges. But I am really curious what guys from other states, particularly Iowa think of our state after the challenge. Of course they will see less large bucks in a week, but I am interested in what they think of MI. It really has a lot to offer. If guys only buy one kill tag and tag out early and are here for a few extra days consider salmon or steelhead fishing, heard they are in the rivers. I think 3 day NR fishing license is pretty reasonable.

And remember, no funny business with Beer, its everywhere. Everytime I go to Wisconsin they think beer and cheese, and fish fries are a Wisconsin thing. You will all, including my brothers across the pond, feel very welcome here with all three.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:42 am

greenhorndave wrote:Probably kept some of the THP challenge guys out of the hoosgow with that post Lou!

Every Beast has to be extra careful with regulations when hunting out of state, we don't want anyone getting tripped up.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:47 am

Uncle Lou wrote:

Bridge, I think you may have some traveling over as well for your BEAST Challenge, pardon my manners. Of course I am interested in the deer hunting in both challenges. But I am really curious what guys from other states, particularly Iowa think of our state after the challenge. Of course they will see less large bucks in a week, but I am interested in what they think of MI. It really has a lot to offer. If guys only buy one kill tag and tag out early and are here for a few extra days consider salmon or steelhead fishing, heard they are in the rivers. I think 3 day NR fishing license is pretty reasonable.

And remember, no funny business with Beer, its everywhere. Everytime I go to Wisconsin they think beer and cheese, and fish fries are a Wisconsin thing. You will all, including my brothers across the pond, feel very welcome here with all three.

My left shoulder is history, won't be climbing trees this fall... gonna hunt the ground "Mitch Rompola" style.

You make a great point Lou, too bad the out of state guys cant take in the color in the U.P. right now, 4 of the 5 great lakes, etc.

They should pick up some Koegel's while they're here for sure...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:54 am

Uncle Lou wrote:

That part of Michigan makes some drop-dead awesome beer, that's for certain. :beer:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

That part of Michigan makes some drop-dead awesome beer, that's for certain. :beer:

Yep, Bells... Founders... and lots of others. I believe Bell's Big Two Hearted is the reigning champion nation wide 2 years running. There's so many different tastes and flavors in that beer its like serving lunch at the United Nations.

I really like Midland Brewing Company's "Copper Harbor" when I'm looking for a smooth, less aggressive bite.

My current fave is Founders IPA "All Day", the one with the canoe on top of a station wagon driving through a Michigan forest.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:35 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

Yep, Bells... Founders... and lots of others. I believe Bell's Big Two Hearted is the reigning champion nation wide 2 years running. There's so many different tastes and flavors in that beer its like serving lunch at the United Nations.

I really like Midland Brewing Company's "Copper Harbor" when I'm looking for a smooth, less aggressive bite.

My current fave is Founders IPA "All Day", the one with the canoe on top of a station wagon driving through a Michigan forest.

All Day is good indeed. Both of those places do a great job.

New Holland Dragons Milk is great, you can find it everywhere and it’s relatively cheap.

Dark Horse out of Marshall makes good stuff... and many more.

:beer:
----------
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:45 am

Thanks Lou.

First year the beer thing killed me :lol:

I do everything online. I think Michigan’s online system is actually really good.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Color in the UP. per my wife is 75 pecent,,,,,,, the UP is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE................Nebraska on the other hand, well, lets just say, not much for good meals here,,,,, ha ha

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”