Too Aggressive?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Too Aggressive?

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 am

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has maybe given something similar a try, or has any thoughts. Im looking at a piece i scouted a little in the spring. Its a fairly narrow marshy area with a creek running through it thats oriented North South, big woods to the west (mostly mix of poplar, conifers, and ash) logged sections to the east. On my spring scout i found some good rubs on the eastern edge of the marsh and trails along it. My question is, would it be too aggressive to dive in now to some of the thick stuff where i suspect bedding could be? My thought was maybe if i got the wind in my face and tried to bump some deer, i could at least gain some intel for a hunt or two down the road. Theres no mast trees such as oaks around, so im assuming they'd be moving to the clearcuts to the east to feed, the cuttings were just done within the last couple years.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Too Aggressive?

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:01 am

Sounds like late winter bedding to me. This area will probably be best after the leaves are gone and the hunting pressure has been high for a few weeks.

I’ve found spots like you’ve described and pushed them during early season without luck. They are thick nasty and ice cold of fresh sign. Tons of old rubs but the deer might not be using that area at this time of year.

Hunt fresh sign.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:56 am

Bonecrusher, that’s interesting you think it’s a late season spot. The description sounds similar to a swamp I’m hunting as well, great rubs from spring scouting but not much for early season so far. My spot might be better during the rut or late season as well. It’s always a learning experience. I’m going to set a cam along a trail from bedding to see when the swamp activity picks up.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:15 am

I haven't been in there since spring, which was my first time ever in there, so i'm not sure when exactly the prime time is for that area. There's no ag or mast trees around that area, so i was just kind of assuming it might be an area used throughout the year with the clearcuts done the last couple years.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:24 am

Sounds like typical northern great lakes deer country. Lotta areas almost or void of oaks. Before jumping in check the area between suspected bedding and suspected feed, clear cuts, for tracks, other sign.

If your short on intel on places to hunt. I see nothing wrong with diving in. What have you got to lose. If you stay out of the actual beds, and try to soft bump them. You may be able to try a bump and dump, even that same say. Other wise use the intel for a hunt 3 or 4 weeks down the road.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:26 am

If you know suspected bedding I would scout around it with a strong breeze in my favor. If you don’t see fresh tracks or scrapes or rubs leaving bedding then move on.

But I wouldn’t be afraid to dive right into bedding either. Get the info you need and get out- better than not knowing what’s going on. The deer will come right back- may even have success on bump and dump tactics.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 am

stash59 wrote:Sounds like typical northern great lakes deer country. Lotta areas almost or void of oaks. Before jumping in check the area between suspected bedding and suspected feed, clear cuts, for tracks, other sign.

If your short on intel on places to hunt. I see nothing wrong with diving in. What have you got to lose. If you stay out of the actual beds, and try to soft bump them. You may be able to try a bump and dump, even that same say. Other wise use the intel for a hunt 3 or 4 weeks down the road.

brancher147 wrote:If you know suspected bedding I would scout around it with a strong breeze in my favor. If you don’t see fresh tracks or scrapes or rubs leaving bedding then move on.

But I wouldn’t be afraid to dive right into bedding either. Get the info you need and get out- better than not knowing what’s going on. The deer will come right back- may even have success on bump and dump tactics.

Thanks guys. Both Stash and Brancher hit the nail on the head with what i was thinking of doing, and my location haha (northeast MN). Its not a spot I feel like i have to hunt, but definitely a spot I'm curious about. My private land butts up to this piece but its more than a mile from the spot. At this point it would be more of an in season recon to see if its used how i think it might be. Definitely would be going in with my bow, not gonna make that mistake!
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:35 am

Keep us posted, I’m curious to what you learn.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”