Need some advice got bust by a buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NHODN

Need some advice got bust by a buck

Unread postby NHODN » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am

I was heading to a stand I already had up from a few years ago only had an hour to hunt but on my way found some really nice buck tracks followed them to the edge of a swamp now I get to think the wind is not food and he knows when I'm here so today I take the long way around to avoid him smelling me so I can set up on the edge of the swamp it is really hilly around the swamp I get almost to where I'm going to hunt and there he is heading straight for me I hid next to a tree and was out of his view and wind was in my favor I seen him turn his head and I drew he was about 27 yards away some how he busted me do I have a chance killing this buck or do I move on to another I'm really not sure what to do it was a nice 8 with a really big body if anyone wanted to know any advice is welcomed and appreciated

I only work so I can hunt
jporcello
500 Club

Re: Need some advice got bust by a buck

Unread postby jporcello » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:27 am

I was listening to a podcast the other day about a guy was wind bumping a buck to beat him to his alternate bed. If you know where his next potential bedding spots are it may help you relocate him
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:56 am

I'd keep on him. Just maybe move to a different spot than you've been at. No telling when patterns change and he could move on. Hunt him while you know where he is.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Stay on him. If he didn’t smell you and you didn’t jump him out of his bed I doubt he’ll leave that spot.
Strategically Inefficient
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Couple years ago I shot right over a bucks back, and the very next day he walked the same trail. Some bucks will tolerate an encounter if they think it was a fluke and believe they have security. Only way to know it to hunt the spot again but adjust for what you observed.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 am

► Show Spoiler
jporcello wrote:I was listening to a podcast the other day about a guy was wind bumping a buck to beat him to his alternate bed. If you know where his next potential bedding spots are it may help you relocate him

So the swamp is owned by 2 different people and I only have permission to hunt the smaller side where he is bedding now so I'm thinking he will go deeper in the swamp if I'm not careful
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:09 am

If he didn't wind you, he will PROBABLY stay in the area. If you booger him again, that's probably a wrap.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:13 am

seazofcheeze wrote:If he didn't wind you, he will PROBABLY stay in the area. If you booger him again, that's probably a wrap.

I think what happened was when I drew my I shifted my weight and rubbed up against the tree and made a slight sound and he bolted I know he didn't wind me I could feel the wind on my face
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 am

Mgaspari wrote:Couple years ago I shot right over a bucks back, and the very next day he walked the same trail. Some bucks will tolerate an encounter if they think it was a fluke and believe they have security. Only way to know it to hunt the spot again but adjust for what you observed.

I'm probably going to give it a day or 2 and go back in
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I'd keep on him. Just maybe move to a different spot than you've been at. No telling when patterns change and he could move on. Hunt him while you know where he is.

I'm going to stay on him thank you
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:16 am

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”