Manipulating standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Manipulating standing corn

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 pm

Does anyone here use ground tactics revolving around standing corn? If so, what terrains are you looking for and what does your setup usually look like. If I ever get my back right so I can hunt I'm looking into a marsh seat so I can tuck in a few rows back.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Manipulating standing corn

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 am

Don't have corn in my area but have hunted Milo fields for many years which is used the same just not quite as tall. In my circumstances ground hunting is tough due to thickness an close spacing of stalks. Afew things I had limited success with are these:

1.) still hunt peaking down each row on a windy day.

2.) hunting the downwind edge where it meets the timber and u can get in a tree

3.) using something to get u elevated where u can shoot down and in. Match it up with some distant cover behind u.

4.) If private, sweet talking the farmer to cut u an interior edge.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:06 am

Tagging in. Would also be curious if when bedding around standing corn (fence rows/travel corridors) if deer tend to get up and leave bed into the wind since their vision is taken from them or will the have a destination in mind and maybe tend not to move in daylight if the wind doesn’t favor that destination?
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:51 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Does anyone here use ground tactics revolving around standing corn? If so, what terrains are you looking for and what does your setup usually look like. If I ever get my back right so I can hunt I'm looking into a marsh seat so I can tuck in a few rows back.

My favorite time to hunt standing corn is late season when the temps hit the floor. I set up an observation stand to see which way they enter and travel then play the wind the next few days when i set up on them. I usually will hunt several rows back In and find a natural shooting lane to make the shot. They are generally short hunts of and hour or two but can pay off big. Late season has become my new favorite time with a bow. I'm hoping this early season changes my mind!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Same rules apply with bedding. Find the high spots, visual, wind and thermal advantages and you’ll find the deer. I like leeward hill side fencelines in between or on the edge of fields....bucks like them too. Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”