Hunting River Edge advice?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

FallowJaeger

Hunting River Edge advice?

Unread postby FallowJaeger » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I wanted to know what the forum members though about hunting areas next to rivers. These aren't so much marshes or swamps but those could be part of it. I'm talking about the fingers of land that stick out into rivers. I've attached a screen shot with arrows pointing to these peninsula that stick into rivers. I've only hunting forest/timber land and want to try my hand at public land near me that is right on rivers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Hunting River Edge advice?

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:09 pm

I hunt river bottom as well. However, the ones I hunt are much smoother “oxbow” situations. Yours are very sharp points into the river.

Question for you, how deep is the river and how wide is the river on average? Are the bucks able to cross the river safely?

Also, do a search for “river bottoms” on this site and you will find a lot of good info.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:43 am

Though that is a river, with all the shoreline and coves, I'd view it as more of a lake for hunting purposes.

This was a real good lake thread last fall - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45484&hilit=Lake+hunting

Good video about lake bedding from Davet this spring - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49359&p=750818&hilit=Lake+hunting#p750818
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:15 am

Hunt that with hill country tactics.

Because of the water body it is super important to key in on the points and knobs that setup for multiple winds. Because deer are not going to swim across open water for different wind directions. So the ‘leeward’ can get thrown out the window some.

The other thing is if there are pockets of preferred cover, that is where the deer will be.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 am

I was going to ask what the topographical map looks like.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
FallowJaeger

Unread postby FallowJaeger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:00 pm

FallowJaeger wrote:I wanted to know what the forum members though about hunting areas next to rivers. These aren't so much marshes or swamps but those could be part of it. I'm talking about the fingers of land that stick out into rivers. I've attached a screen shot with arrows pointing to these peninsula that stick into rivers. I've only hunting forest/timber land and want to try my hand at public land near me that is right on rivers.

I've attached some Topo maps I just put together. Hope this can help me understand more about hunting on the rivers. Would getting the Hunting Swamp Land DVD be a good tool for applying to hunting rivers such as these? Thank you for all the help so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”