Bedding in Planted Pines

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Bedding in Planted Pines

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:39 pm

Most of the places I hunt have at least one big block of planted pines. When the pines were younger, bucks would bed along the edges. Does would bed a bit further in, but it was too thick for anything but rabbits to be any deeper.

Well as I get older, so are the pines, and now some blocks are 15-20 yrs old. Sunlight doesn’t penetrate as much and now the entire block becomes a bedding area. The transition from oaks to pines isn’t thick enough to hold mature bucks. So I know the bucks are bedding in the pines but deciphering where is tricky to me.

Should I just be focusing on spots within the pines where the airflow is decent enough that a mature buck will feel like he’s got his back covered?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strategically Inefficient
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Re: Bedding in Planted Pines

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Still focus on the edges and high spots. Vary rarely do they just bed in the middle. To much of the same terrain. The high spots and edges if thick enough will still have beds in them.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 pm

I agree with Bowhuntercoop.
Andy1965

Unread postby Andy1965 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:25 am

We have hunted planted pines for many years. Where I’m at in south ga if you don’t hunt pines there are not many places left. We find that deer will use planted pines from the time they are planted. The first few years they are great sources of browse for deer to eat. Once they get about waist high they will use them for bedding on the colder days and soak up some sun. On hotter days deer will bed a lot on drainages like in the aerial you posted and these can be real hotspots especially if they are not noticeable from the roads. That’s where you will find a lot of trails in those areas because it’s easier to get around. Sometimes if there are bigger trees or group of trees that will give shade they will bed under them.some of the best hunting I know of is in younger pines you just have to get in there with them.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Andy1965 wrote:We have hunted planted pines for many years. Where I’m at in south ga if you don’t hunt pines there are not many places left. We find that deer will use planted pines from the time they are planted. The first few years they are great sources of browse for deer to eat. Once they get about waist high they will use them for bedding on the colder days and soak up some sun. On hotter days deer will bed a lot on drainages like in the aerial you posted and these can be real hotspots especially if they are not noticeable from the roads. That’s where you will find a lot of trails in those areas because it’s easier to get around. Sometimes if there are bigger trees or group of trees that will give shade they will bed under them.some of the best hunting I know of is in younger pines you just have to get in there with them.

Yeah when these pines were younger it was awesome hunting in and around them. It’s still good hunting but they are 30 ft tall now and there are trails and beds everywhere you turn
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Stingray713 wrote:
Andy1965 wrote:We have hunted planted pines for many years. Where I’m at in south ga if you don’t hunt pines there are not many places left. We find that deer will use planted pines from the time they are planted. The first few years they are great sources of browse for deer to eat. Once they get about waist high they will use them for bedding on the colder days and soak up some sun. On hotter days deer will bed a lot on drainages like in the aerial you posted and these can be real hotspots especially if they are not noticeable from the roads. That’s where you will find a lot of trails in those areas because it’s easier to get around. Sometimes if there are bigger trees or group of trees that will give shade they will bed under them.some of the best hunting I know of is in younger pines you just have to get in there with them.

I’m hunting a specific buck in there and he’s just tough to set up on. Those drainages are really good spots and I know he goes to them to browse, but it’s dark when he gets there.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:37 pm

All I hunt is public land that is pine plantations. The creeks will have oaks but everything else is pine.

What I find here is the bigger matured bucks will bed where a drainage i.e. (small creek run down the side of a hill) about 10 to 15 yards up the lil run off ditch just far enough back to be in thick enough cover to not get seen by hunters as they pass.

If you find any lil spots like that along the oak/pine line that is thick but in a few small section. I would take a good look at it.

Also don't get fooled into thinking they won't bed out in the middle of the pine tree sea. If you walk through it and see just a small hunp. I'm talking as small as 6 inches higher then everything else and big enough for a deer to bed on it. Check it out

Also if you find a mature pine stand say 10 plus years old. With a clearcut next to it that is fresh but is mostly tall grass. Look for pinch points coming from the clearcut on the coldest days they will be bedded down in it and move to the pines when the does get up to go feed.

Hope this helps sir.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:33 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:All I hunt is public land that is pine plantations. The creeks will have oaks but everything else is pine.

What I find here is the bigger matured bucks will bed where a drainage i.e. (small creek run down the side of a hill) about 10 to 15 yards up the lil run off ditch just far enough back to be in thick enough cover to not get seen by hunters as they pass.

If you find any lil spots like that along the oak/pine line that is thick but in a few small section. I would take a good look at it.

Also don't get fooled into thinking they won't bed out in the middle of the pine tree sea. If you walk through it and see just a small hunp. I'm talking as small as 6 inches higher then everything else and big enough for a deer to bed on it. Check it out

Also if you find a mature pine stand say 10 plus years old. With a clearcut next to it that is fresh but is mostly tall grass. Look for pinch points coming from the clearcut on the coldest days they will be bedded down in it and move to the pines when the does get up to go feed.

Hope this helps sir.

Huge help!

Hard to tell but this South corner of the pines is the highest ridge on the property.

Blues lines are drainage ditches that feed down and join to form a creek in the hardwoods.

Any N W or E wind he’ll be bedded between those blue lines or close to them

Appreciate the info my man!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 am

Stingray713 wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:All I hunt is public land that is pine plantations. The creeks will have oaks but everything else is pine.

Hope this helps sir.

Huge help!

Hard to tell but this South corner of the pines is the highest ridge on the property.

Blues lines are drainage ditches that feed down and join to form a creek in the hardwoods.

Any N W or E wind he’ll be bedded between those blue lines or close to them

Appreciate the info my man!

Hey no problem sir. Hope it helps.

Something I forgot to say is in the pic you see that clear spot in the pines. You can see old skidder trails going all diffrent directions in the pines.

Those are some very good rut funnels down here where I hunt. Probably be a good idea after season to walk them and check for old buck sign.

If they use them like they do here. There will be tons of scrapes and rubs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”