Teaching kids to shoot. Gun and bow.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Teaching kids to shoot. Gun and bow.

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:58 am

What have you guys found work best to progress? Open sights, scopes, bow, crossbow?

I have a 6 and 7 year old, almost turning 7 and 8. Would be nice to have them shooting well this time next year. We have a red ryder and a 10 pump, shooting cans w open sights. They REALLY want a bow, but they cant pull enough to shoot a deer. Id like to take them small game and stuff a bunch before deer hunting.

What process an ages do you guys think works well?

Widgeon

Re: Teaching kids to shoot. Gun and bow.

Unread postby Widgeon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:31 am

I picked up a Diamond Atomic for my 5 year old. We have a good time shooting together in the backyard.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:00 am

Keep it fun so they stay interested in it. I got 2 Bear Scout bows for my nephews off a local online auction site for $5 this summer, and they loved it just by keeping it fun and simple all while I tried to slowly work on them with their shooting form, etc. not forcing anything on them. I set up my target about 10ft away with a balloon taped to the target. Easy, big enough target for them to have a good chance to hit it and is exciting when they hear it pop (almost like tannerite for little kids). The oldest one was 4 1/2yo this summer and could pull the bow back easily by himself but struggled to keep the arrow on the shelf, so it might be a little easy for your kids to pull back but they would make good "beater" bows for them to practice shooting around the yard and have fun.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 am

Think you got the gun part figured out.

For the bow just get a couple of inexpensive trad type bows and some cheap indestructable arrows. Take them out "stump shooting" in the woods. Don't worry too much about form yet. Just keep it fun. When your state says they're old enough try hunting rabbits with them. Course you need to make sure if there are any restrictions.

As they get older try to explain form and anchor points. If they really enjoy it then think about getting them into a compound. If that's what they really want. Should be able to find some used ones and not break the bank.

Think it depends on the kid, as far as when they're actually ready to bowhunt deer with a vertical bow. If they really want to hunt bowseason, but may not be ready. Use a xbow.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 am

I started them on a pellet gun, shooting at a plinking box dials that you could here and see when shot. They both shot at the youth center that had various bow that would fit them when they were 5 and 7, open sights. Then I just got them bows when needed. Back when they were young there wasn't the highly adjustable bows for kids that are out now. The 1st nice outfit I got them offered a option to buy an additional set of limbs, which was killer at the time!

I never pressured them. If they wanted to go to the bow club with me, then I never said no.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 am

Open sights and one shot one kill...
Make games out of practice, maybe .25 cents for a 10 ring...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 am

bb gun first, with no sights on there. I like to teach them the same way with archery too. My dad taught me years ago shooting 22's with no sights, but that is really too expensive, and I like the daisy for the practice anyway. as soon as they can hit a target with the bb gun, I like to get a metal disc of some kind and throw it for them, letting them learn to shoot moving targets. It happens quite fast for them. Both my boys, and my young cousins, could hit thrown targets with a daisy. My boy, Ian, has hit moving targets with his bow. No sights, we used a basketball kicked across the yard. amazing what we can do if we let our minds take over.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:01 am

Just get a light 243. They can,shoot that from now until there 15-16

Get them a diamon infinity package bow it will last them from now until they 15-16
Or send them down the recurve road until they can handle a compound
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 am

Don't know about for hunting purposes. My lil girl will be turning 6 this weekend and I just don't feel she is mature enough to be taking a life. I got here a 15# recurve for her 4th b day that she shoots religiously. I went the recurve route cause it's easy maintenance and nothing to go wrong or constantly having to fiddle with or get fixed. A $10 string every year and she's set. No matter what weapon u choose for the kiddos I suggest keeping the practice fun. My lil girl really enjoys shooting at balloons vs just a block style target. Plus I challange her and make the balloons smaller and she's none the wiser.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 am

Just keep it fun and safe. Cans are always fun, balloons, etc.

BB gun is the best place to start - got my first one at about 5. Mom raised holy fire when I shot a squirrel - called me and the neighbor boy murderers. That was about 60 seconds before she flattened a squirrel with her car. Absolutely hilarious! :lol: :lol: That's actually a fun memory.

Also got an old fashioned fiberglass "long bow" and some arrows. Even when i was 8 and hunting with a compound I still used to use the long bow for fun. Had that a good many years.

Target shooting in itself is fun- everything doesn't have to be about hunting.

Dad started me hunting at the age of 5, on my own after deer at 8 yo. Of course that is probably frowned upon these days with the 12/13 yo age limit many states have.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:51 am

I have an eight year old daughter. I bought her a Diamond Prizm a few years ago. She has shot it here and there. For the last 4 days she has shot everyday in hopes of being able to hunt with it by Halloween.

I have given her ZERO pressure, but with that said I have her set up properly with a great training release (she shoots both a hinge and a tension activated release) and I expect good shots. The increased accuracy from such training is her reward. Sometimes she only wants to shoot an arrow or two. Other times she will stand there and fire 20 shots. This type of training isn't for everyone, but my daughter is mentally tough enough to deal with me :? , at least most days.

In my opinion, I give them the "best" tools to create good habits and enjoy this sport for life. I struggled with target panic for years. I wasn't taught how to shoot and created some poor habits. I went from barely being able to put my pin on the target without slamming the trigger to shooting upper 50's on a five spot (and even a few 60's). Having target panic sucks and I don't ever want her to have to deal with it.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:34 am

I have two daughters and I got them both BB guns when they were 8. Taught them the basics of gun safety (always aware of backdrop, muzzle safety, etc). They both love shooting my .22 at the range and I let them shoot my crossbow when I take it out to practice. \My oldest is now 14 and has no real interest in the sport, but my youngest is 10 and loves her bow. She has a Barnett Lil Banshee bow with no site or arrow rest. She shoots with me every night and hits the target every shot at 20 yards. Once she gets a little stronger I have a low weight compound bow for her to start practicing with that has sites and a whisker biscuit. Don't know that she will be interested hunting as she has an aversion to blood and/or anything medical. I figure even if they don't end up wanting to hunt, at least they have respect for the sport and basic skills and understanding of weapons.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”