big buck behavior change while shedding velvet?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

big buck behavior change while shedding velvet?

Unread postby raisins » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:21 pm

I pulled some trail cams before season opener and noticed something that might be a coincidence. The smaller bucks shed their velvet earlier and it seems pretty quickly. I had them on cam before, during, and after. The bigger bucks starting shedding velvet later and once it started then they were no longer on cam. This started around September 15. Of course, many other factors can and are at play. But I'm curious if big bucks feel vulnerable when shedding velvet and if that changes their behavior patterns. If a little spike shedding his velvet is like losing a baby tooth, then I'd imagine a big buck losing his velvet might be like wisdom tooth surgery. Thanks.

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Re: big buck behavior change while shedding velvet?

Unread postby Seeker529 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:32 pm

I’ve noticed this same thing... and pretty positive that it’s not food source change since the corn field is still standing that Is next to the bedding area..still lots of leaves on the tree so lots of cover... I’ve been rattling my brain trying to fig it out?!? I would’ve assumed the big bucks would dominate the bedding and push the smaller ones out but seems like the big bucks just mosey on out of the area
Jdub

Unread postby Jdub » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 am

Before a buck sheds its velvet their horomone levels are at their lowest point, thats why it sheds. After they shed those levels begin to rise and that's a big part of why you see patterns change. Bachelor groups break up and bucks find their own place away from other bucks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:41 am

Just to throw a curve ball out there none of this stuff is written in stone and can be extremely variable. The oldest buck I had on cameras this year shed first and the smaller bucks in the area still had velvet for about a week after that. I have seen the opposite as well, probably dependent on the individual genetics. I have also seen large bachelor groups of 4-5 mature bucks together in early Oct, maybe a rare event but I have seen it twice so it might not be as rare as even I am thinking.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:55 am

Jdub wrote:Before a buck sheds its velvet their horomone levels are at their lowest point, thats why it sheds. After they shed those levels begin to rise and that's a big part of why you see patterns change. Bachelor groups break up and bucks find their own place away from other bucks.

I was just explaining this to a guy on the MN hunt club. He was mad that he wasn’t getting daylight pics of his shooters anymore.

“They’re nocturnal now.” He said. I told him they weren’t and explained to him they just changed their pattern and aren’t moving as far from their bedding areas, or they’re bedding somewhere else all together.

I expect to see big changes every year right around velvet shed.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:08 am

My highest scoring 2 bucks shed first here this year, around September 1st . My 3rd and final mature buck on this place didnt shed velvet til last week, over 2 weeks later. I've got 8 other bucks in the 1.5-3.5 range and the younger ones of them peeled first, the last to shed was a 3.5 year old 8 point that shed 3 days ago. Right now 2 of the 3 mature bucks I'm still getting in daylight on camera, they've just got to keep it up til this weekend! Also one thing I've noticed is all 3 mature bucks are loners, all summer they came out of different beds than the others and prefer to feed off by thereself
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:31 am

Timing of velvet shed is pretty individual for each buck. Once velvet is shed most bucks under go a change in attitude towards other bucks. Becoming less tolerant of each other.

Another thing to consider is older bucks that have been through a few hunting seasons. May move into more secure bedding, than that from summer. Because velvet shed is a signal that hunting pressure will start soon.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:04 am

stash59 wrote: Because velvet shed is a signal that hunting pressure will start soon.

They know we are coming!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:38 am

It is the hormones.

Hormones trigger the shedding - it doesn't hurt or nothing.

Happens every fall. Usually right before hunting season.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:53 am

I’m still seeing them in bachelor groups has of last night in the same areas has summer after velvet shed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:56 am

Hawthorne wrote:I’m still seeing them in bachelor groups has of last night in the same areas has summer after velvet shed.

They know it’s not Oct 1st yet. ;)

It’s funny quickly they learn the season is open.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:58 am

headgear wrote:Just to throw a curve ball out there none of this stuff is written in stone and can be extremely variable. The oldest buck I had on cameras this year shed first and the smaller bucks in the area still had velvet for about a week after that. I have seen the opposite as well, probably dependent on the individual genetics. I have also seen large bachelor groups of 4-5 mature bucks together in early Oct, maybe a rare event but I have seen it twice so it might not be as rare as even I am thinking.

I saw a single large mature buck .

And a group of bucks 2 two year olds and 2 older bucks together. Just last week.

All 5 bucks from the same observation sit.

It was the most old age class bucks I've ever seen at once.

I also noticed mature bucks shed before young bucks did in my area on my cameras.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 am

I’ve noticed a change compared to earlier this month. The good thing is, I usually end up seeing some deer I haven’t as well :pray:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:47 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I saw a single large mature buck .

And a group of bucks 2 two year olds and 2 older bucks together. Just last week.

All 5 bucks from the same observation sit.

It was the most old age class bucks I've ever seen at once.

I also noticed mature bucks shed before young bucks did in my area on my cameras.

It can be crazy different from year to year too, years past I have had bachelors on cam, this year they are all broken up and on their own. Just depends on the individual deer. One spot I shot a buck in 2016 came in with two other bucks. This year same spot I passed a younger 8 hoping for his buddie, a much bigger 9, but he has been a no show and seems to be bedding in the next county. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”