Hills early season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

Hills early season

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 am

What's the best advice u can give for hills in early season?

If acorns are up high do u go up high? Whats the best access, drop down into acorns or come up a draw? Food plots all failed this year and the acorns are in locations I've never hunted due to my hunts always revolving around november.

My second property is large hill system with beans and greens in 12 acre bottom. Would u focus on hills hunting up high on acorns or hunt down low on way to food in a transition, on the actual food? I'm going in blind and only have a few days to hunt. Would u scout in mornings? Scout at all or rely on topos?

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Hills early season

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm

I hunt mornings down low.

Transition lines near oaks in afternoons.

Bucks often get up and go down low to get water in the afternoon they have been laying their for hours. Afternoons down low in extreme heat is good. The hard part to beat is the rising thermal and getting close enough to bedding.

I do scout some on my way in.
Most of my spots are already chosen.

Sometimes I scout areas midday that aren't on my hunting list. To attempt to locate something fresh.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Spauldo42
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/steven.spaulding.42

Unread postby Spauldo42 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Thoughts on attacking high acorns -) One best entry and exit route, hunt morning and evening to see which works. You can bust them on the way up and have others come in from another part of the mountain. If the food is there, the deer will be too. In season in hill country I would give it three sits and move on. That is in low deer density.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:02 pm

[quote="Tennhunter3"]I hunt mornings down low.

Transition lines near oaks in afternoons.

Bucks often get up and go down low to get water in the afternoon they have been laying their for hours. Afternoons down low in extreme heat is good. The hard part to beat is the rising thermal and getting close enough to bedding.

I do scout some on my way in.
Most of my spots are already chosen.

Sometimes I scout areas midday that aren't on my hunting list. To attempt to locate something fresh.[/quote

He said it, going to be unusually hot for the eastern US next couple weeks

I love getting on hot sign near acorns, but water is going to be more important coming up
Strategically Inefficient
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:

Curious what you think about this, it's a new spot for me and I don't know the air currents yet. Picture a stream directly at the bottom of the hill running parallel to the ridge top. If I am on the opposite side of the stream will the stream's current, and the air flowing with it, keep my scent out of those thermals? Thinking of staying low on the hot day and catching them when they come for water. That's my only access to this piece anyway. Thanks
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:07 pm

So u guys hunt some mornings too? Anyone go to suspected bedding and setup well b4 crack of daylight?
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Anyone ever kill a target buck in the morning early ocrober in hills? What was the strategy involved is the question I'm getting at

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”