Got Intel on a big buck.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AntlersAnonymous

Got Intel on a big buck.

Unread postby AntlersAnonymous » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:18 pm

I've recently got some Intel that a giant buck is bedding at an old abandoned homestead. It's just an acre or less of really tall over grown grass, a junk yard of cars, and an old farm house. My dad actually jumped this big deer, or so we think, last year while checking out one of these old cars to sell it for the farmer. I'm truly thinking about shooting this deer right out of the abandoned house. Should I try and get him coming back to his bed or put some corn out and wait for him to stand up to eat? There's literally nothing around this small lot except tilled or farmed ground. So, I find it hard to believe that he would ever come back to his bed during daylight because everybody and their mom would see him. Our friend saw him in the evening up during daylight. Both my dad and our friend commented on how wide he was so we believe it's the same deer from last year. Obviously he loves this bed.

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Got Intel on a big buck.

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 pm

There's obviously food in the area if he sticks around so I would not put out corn. You're just tipping him off and decreasing your chances. If possible do some observing from a distance during mornings and evening to see if a pattern emerges otherwise wait for good weather conditions and sneak in and hunt him. You may only get one or two shots at him if the property is that small so you will have to make it count. Good luck.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 pm

I wouldn’t it corn out. He’s there because nobody else is. I’d sneak in the house, observe and if you don’t kill him from the house refine your approach and move in on him. Maybe you’ll have to switch what window you shoot him from. Lol
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:18 am

I'd try to observe from a distance to try and get as much intel on his movements as possible. And whether he only uses that spot on certain winds.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:34 am

I have tried to hunt from old barns in a similar scenario. What I didn’t count on was how much my wind can swirl in a building like that. And how quickly a deer will notice you in a building. If it is a fairly sound house with siding and windows still attached you are probably ok but if it is missing siding and windows beware of swirling winds. I wouldn’t use any corn. Try to observe from a distance and make a plan. Make that first sit count.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
okeweemee

Unread postby okeweemee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:54 am

Being from the home of corning experts (NC) you can use it like we do here to your advantage. put it where you need him to pause. I kill them out of an old barn so your house may be great as well.
you'll need to time it when you put it out to avoid him.
My local taxi is my source on the effectiveness of corn. It is astounding how well it works here during bow season. Not sure where you are but it'll work there too.
I do agree that it is a chicken poop way to kill one BUT.....
Good Luck!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 am

In my mind putting out corn and coming back is a gamble. You absolutely want to hunt the first time you set foot in there. Don’t scout, don’t put corn out ahead of time.

And hunting from the house depends on where it’s located. I have hunted from abandoned farm houses before. I helped my sister get a doe by standing in the doorway of an old barn in my rut grove years ago. They can work out pretty slick if the set up is right.

I would definitely ask your dad to pin point on an aerial exactly where he jumped the buck. If there are old cars in the grove, hiding behind one could potentially make for the perfect ambush from the ground. If the windows are broke out, shoot through the car or whatever works.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:27 am

Lockdown wrote:In my mind putting out corn and coming back is a gamble. You absolutely want to hunt the first time you set foot in there. Don’t scout, don’t put corn out ahead of time.

And hunting from the house depends on where it’s located. I have hunted from abandoned farm houses before. I helped my sister get a doe by standing in the doorway of an old barn in my rut grove years ago. They can work out pretty slick if the set up is right.

I would definitely ask your dad to pin point on an aerial exactly where he jumped the buck. If there are old cars in the grove, hiding behind one could potentially make for the perfect ambush from the ground. If the windows are broke out, shoot through the car or whatever works.

I'll echo this as well. I've tried the old barn/house thing before and I couldn't move a muscle because of all the noise and there was NO WAY that I could get out of the spot to make a move if needed. If you're on the ground, you can at least make an attempt on him if he stands up further away than you're thinking.

I for sure wouldn't put out corn. Go in for the kill the first time you go.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:31 am

If you like the corn pile idea, bring it with the first hunt. Then place it strategically when you leave.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:51 am

Like every spot we choose to hunt, you need to assess the situation.

If the old building is sound it may work okay. But take note, if it's got siding that just butts one against the other. The cracks between the boards can let the deer see you and your movements. Which they will notice much easier than you'd think. Especially if the sunshine can come in from an opening behind you.

Wind currents and thermals may not only be influenced by the building itself. But also by the trees and topography around it.

As far as using corn. If you really want to go in and set something up to get the deer in a better shooting position. I'd rather look for a tree close enough to the building. That I could set up a licking branch and mock scrape on/under. No need to keep rebaiting a corn pile that also feeds all of the non target animals like squirrels too. One trip in to make the licking branch/scrape is all that's needed.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
AntlersAnonymous

Unread postby AntlersAnonymous » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:03 am

Thank all of you for the input. Hearing all the perspectives really helps. I'm going to ask my dad and our friend exactly where they saw him and which way he headed. From an aerial, the house looks like it may be too deteriorated. I'll just have to see. I think I'll definitely hunt the first time I step foot into the area, but I also want to scout from a distance. I'm sure I can figure out how the wind was when the deer decided to bed there.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:41 pm

I got reminded a week ago in farm country about how bucks really count on a good view out in front of them when they bed down. Is there a particular direction he can bed to get a better view out in front of him? This might give you an idea of how to approach the farm stead.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:59 pm

I hunted an old abandoned farmstead one time where the farmer had trail a camera photo of a nice nice buck. I guessed wrong twice on his direction of travel and had him pass by just out of range (70 yards) one time out of three nights of hunting him. If you know roughly where he’s bedding focus on when he leaves where’s he going. If it’s a particular field or direction given a certain wind focus on hunting just off the farmstead as he leaves his sanctuary. Maybe he’s headed to a creek/ pond for a drink, or a specific crop field to eat. If he isn’t pressured or bumped he’ll likely continue to bed on the homestead. By working from the outside in you may have multiple opportunities. If your able, try to observe from a distance when a wind shift occurs to pinpoint his bedding spot. Set up between there and his destination and your in the game.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”