Getting back into a tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Getting back into a tree?

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:32 am

Had an incident second day of the season, some of you probably saw in the live from the field thread. Slipped off one of my lone Wolf sticks and got caught by my linemens rope. Ended up with thirty or so bruises, plus some scrapes, cuts, and a mild concussion. Not exactly a great way to kick off my season.

I hauled my sticks saddle and platform out with me again the next day, climbed up a couple sticks and set up, but couldn't get comfortable. Stayed up for thirty minutes or so before I climbed down and hunted from the bottom of the tree in my ghillie. Ended up seeing the best movement I have all year so far from the ground.

Since that day I haven't hauled in any of my climbing gear, I have just been hunting off the ground in a ghillie.

The saddle itself is actually pretty comfortable, it's the climbing up and the platform that are making me nervous. I feel like it actually helps with the fear of heights, once I'm up there, compared to a small lock on stand.

I keep telling myself if the situation calls for it I'll climb back up into a tree and hunt, but always end up talking myself into leaving all that stuff in the truck. This has been going on for a couple weeks now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting back into a tree? Do I even need to? I'm hoping someone can convince me, before I decide to sell all my saddle gear and go 100% ground. Currently it's a lot more fun hunting from the ground, but I don't want to be at a giant disadvantage either. I love the fact that I can set up pretty much anywhere I want on the ground. Suggestions, thoughts, or whatever appreciated.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Getting back into a tree?

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:56 am

I think the best medicine is just getting back on the horse, once your physical ailments have healed so that there is no discomfort.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 am

Huntress13 wrote:I think the best medicine is just getting back on the horse, once your physical ailments have healed so that there is no discomfort.

Agreed.

Just take your time, be very deliberate in your movements. It will come together.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:16 am

Not any physical discomfort left really, but plenty of mental. :roll: :lol: :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:17 am

DhD wrote:Not any physical discomfort left really, but plenty of mental. :roll: :lol: :lol:

It’s understandable.

But literally take one step at a time, making sure each one is solid. Slow is fast.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 am

Man I feel for ya but like others said... take your time
Extra cautious, even more so than usual
Baby steps brother! You’ll be back in the saddle soon (pun intended :lol: )
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:32 am

I had a lot of accidents over the years before safety harnesses became popular yet somehow I'm still alive to talk about it. It's understandable to be a little nervous now but the most important thing is you used safety gear and it performed exactly like it should. Use it as a learning experience to make sure what happened never does again.

Sometimes I find myself rushing and that's when slips usually happen. Move slow and think about every single step before you do it. The only way to gain confidence again is by doing it. Hunting out of a tree has never been safer with there gear available today but it's still up to us to use it properly.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:38 am

On the plus side you know that your safety equipment functions properly and you can 100% depend on it.

Maybe an intermediate step would be hunting in a climber like the Summit that has a bar around the top platform. That rail should make you feel much more secure. Once I locked mine I with the Third Hand Stabilizer Straps the stand was rock solid.

There is nothing wrong with hunting on the ground. It is more challenging for sure but you can be just as successful at it but you have to perfect you setups.

I am a 100% ground pounder as I have trouble getting around and I have lost most of the feeling in my lower left leg and some of the feeling in my right due to my back injuries.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 am

Try a different stick. One with bigger and double steps. That should make climbing feel more sure footed and confident.

IDK how saddle guys deal with that tiny platform. I have no insight there for you.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 am

I think everything I was gonna say has been said! Get back out there and slay a beast!!! :dance:
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 am

I have definitely been considering a stick with bigger steps, or maybe installing larger steps. I'm running into issues with spending money on something new. Due to some mobility issues my daughter is having we are going to have to move to another house soon. Lots of expenses, hard to justify spending extra on myself.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 am

Play around with it closer to ground level at home, while not hunting. Pay attention to where/how you place your feet. Gradually go higher and do all of this.

I'm with Dewey. Hunted alot of years without or with inferior safety gear (safety belts). Had some close calls but never got seriously hurt.

If none of this works hunting only off of the ground isn't the end of the world. You are still hunting. And in some situations it's tougher. So you may feel more satisfaction when you fill a tag!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Try a different stick. One with bigger and double steps. That should make climbing feel more sure footed and confident.

IDK how saddle guys deal with that tiny platform. I have no insight there for you.

I have switched from a mobile ladder stand to a hang on stand this year and went with the hawk helium sticks. I'm not a fan of heights, but I've come to really appreciate how stable, light, and easy to use they are. They have double steps that fold up, grip into the tree really well, and suction together for easy transport. Now that I've used them a handful of times I can't imagine going to a single step model like the LW.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 am

Get different sticks, go to a climber or hunt from the ground.

Do what makes you most comfortable, you dont need to be stressing while trying to hunt.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:02 am

stash59 wrote:Play around with it closer to ground level at home, while not hunting. Pay attention to where/how you place your feet. Gradually go higher and do all of this.

This is how my friend did it. Start slower and simpler. Hunt in the saddle zero sticks up. Then hunt 1 stick high a few times, then 2 etc. And skip the platform for now, just use two sticks at hunting height that's enough to move around the tree. Also use one extra safety device. So at hunting height I keep my lineman's attached to the tree loosely. You might try climbing with both your tether and lineman's attached. That extra confidence you are connected to the tree in two places can help ease your concerns. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”