What time are you in stand for early season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

What time are you in stand for early season?

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:10 pm

This was my first attempt at early season bow hunting on my way in with my stand on my back I was bumping deer, it seems that they were up moving to a point. I had a doe walk within ten yards, two small bucks I bumped making noise walking in and another deer caught my scent and blew out. I entered the woods around 2:45pm and was set up around 3:30, is that late?

What is your goal time to be set up for early season?

Matt Gill
500 Club

Re: What time are you in stand for early season?

Unread postby Matt Gill » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:15 pm

That’s pretty close to when I would try to be set up as well. Always figured better to be a little early than late but this time of year it’s hard to set much longer than 4 hours between the mosquitoes and the heat.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 pm

This time of year I see deer up and feeding from about 2pm on. Last night I had to deer go past out of bedding. One came out just after 5pm and one just before closing. A previous hunt I ran into deer feeding at 3 as I snuck up a point to set up
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:23 am

First year using beast tactics. Been 3 times since opener on the 7th. I don't have any bucks pinpointed to an area, so I've been scouting my way in usually starting around 1-2pm. I've yet to get in the stand before 4. The one day I came across some definitive buck sign I almost didn't even get in the stand.

Am I getting started too late? I almost had a shot at a doe on my last hunt from the ground, so I guess it's better than sitting on the couch.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:40 am

I try to be in a tree by 3ish if I am hunting evenings in the early season. Its a slow walk in to... Enjoy the sights and sounds. I always try to remind myself it is not a race. Have fun, and if your thinking you are pushing too deep and jumping deer climb up and do an observation sit. Nail their pattern down then move in when you have more time.
Extreme Effort Only
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 am

In higher density spots I see deer up and moving early.

A few times I thought I would be clever, tight on time, sneak in the last 2 hours of light only to be busted by multiple deer up feeding. To the point I dont even hunt certain properties if I cant get there around lunch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”