Missed bump and dump opportunities

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Missed bump and dump opportunities

Unread postby Smitty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm

So I went into a new area opening day, briefly scouted it early summer found a couple good bedding areas and one big white oak (had some acorns not a lot) and a couple clumps of reds so formulated a plan to just put myself between one of the bedding areas and the oaks and observe and maybe get a shot as well and I did watch a buck stand up about 100 yards out and that was great but he went the other way and saw another way way off in the distance so I did learn a little about the spot. But anyway on the way in I realized I should have accessed it a little differently I crossed the river walked a small section along it where a lot of trout fisherman walk as part of the river is to deep for waders and sure enough right off that faint trail was a bed with a fresh rub in it. It didn’t hit me until after I was in the area I set out to be in that I may have missed the chance at a perfect bump and dump scenario I feel like that buck was probably bumped pretty frequently during summer by trout fishermen and was still bedded there. So the big question I have is, is one unexpected location of a bed enough to deter you from from your original plan and try to pull off a bump and dump or not?

Haste makes waste
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Missed bump and dump opportunities

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Sorry I was a little tired when I wrote that question at the end of the original post. So basically I was just interested in hearing some scenarios from y’all where a bump and dump worked the same day? Like I mentioned with this particular deer being by the trout fishing trail I’m sure the buck was used too just circling around them and coming right back, so looking back I can’t help but feel like I could’ve gotten a chance at a same day bump and dump.
Haste makes waste

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”