When to hunt a scrape line?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

When to hunt a scrape line?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 am

Ive never been much into scrape hunting, other than a few small ones that were in locations I was already hunting. In one area in Ohio Im hunting again this year, there are about 6-8 large scrapes on a flat section of a point that comes off the main ridge, all within 100 yards. They are there every year. I REALLY need to leave some cameras this year... There are always many large rubs just off this finger point ridge top also when I arrive early-mid November.
This particular scrape line is 100% wooded, but not incredibly thick. Thick stuff is nearby, less than 100 yards down the whole bottom is nasty thick.
When would you hunt these scrapes? I've never hunted this exact spot, but often see fresh prints and scraping in them early November, but they are well established by then.
Is this best pre rut? Oct 20-30th? Earlier or later?

What is your success rates hunting scrape line during pre rut or rut VS hunting other funnels?

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: When to hunt a scrape line?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:44 am

I never hunt scrape lines anymore.
Never seen anything big at one during the day.

If your going to try this hunt at the first scrape leaving bedding most are primary and not in a line.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:44 am

If your going to sit it I would sit it pre rut just after a rain.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 am

I think earlier is better for scrape hunting. After they start actually seeking and chasing, they seem to really cool off besides passer-bys might work em. The week or 2 leading upto Halloween week...

One thing I've learned....mature bucks are usually a tick smarter....they'll use the wind.

I had a similar scenario several years ago. Night time rains and scrapes were being torn to shreds. I could tell a lot of activity was morning right after the rains.

I think 3 mornings in a row I was busted. What happened was, the buck was approaching from slightly up hill....and he wasn't coming near till the thermals kicked in. It was very interesting to see it go down...I didn't kill him...but I learned a lot.

If I was smarter, I'd found his access and setup 20yds above that....I think the last day I finally did but it was too late...he didn't show...or I was busted and didn't know it.
Paca

Unread postby Paca » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:08 am

I saw a 4 year old buck walk out of his way to use a scrape , on Saturday. The scrape was on a field edge.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Well few things come into play here on this question so a simple answer isn’t gonna be the best answer but if you know it is close to some good bedding then I say cut through there and find when the scrapes are opened up and hunt them. To me dates on the calendar make no difference. If the sign is fresh hunt it. Obviously the deer is using it then if he is laying down the sign. That’s the simple answer. Great area to spot check again if you know the core bedding and can slip through without affecting that.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:If your going to sit it I would sit it pre rut just after a rain.

I second this !, I like to hit em at the end of October . And after a fresh rain. Two years in a row I had bucks come in check early in day light to refresh it. This scrape was close to a point . So close proximity to bedding is what you wanna look for.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 am

Scrape lines usually give you a line of travel. So even if the first one is well away from bedding. If this line of travel leads to or from a bedding area. You have a good clue of what route a buck is using. So even if the first scrape from bedding is too far for a mature buck to reach before dark. Setting up closer to bedding on that route should get you in the game. As long as the sign is fresh and indicates use.

Any scrapes/scrape lines getting worked consistently in October. Near bedding would, grab my attention and get some sits in the area.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:07 am

My general rule on this is if the line is close to a pinch, funnel or bedding, I'd hunt it. The weeks leading up to and including pre-rut, hunt it. Dirt in scrapes smell like pee, hunt it. Fresh tracks in and around the scrapes, hunt it. The worse case is you discover that it's likely a night time spot - lesson learned but at least you hunted it. Move to next location. I've had success hunting a scrape line on a bench next to white oaks and small beech trees. They love the beech trees for licking branches.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am

Those that open up new in late Oct, I would hunt as soon as you find them. Disclaimer, I hunt private land and therefore am on the same properties more often than the beast hunters here so I will likely see new scrapes within a day or two of opening, but when a new line of scrapes open then, my experience is that they tend to get hit right away. Not sure, but it could be when that first doe is hot because last time this happened, it was a crazy morning of several bucks showing up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”