Good Questions To Ask A Forester

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Good Questions To Ask A Forester

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Rewatching the Beast 2018 Bow Season Review video and noticed Dan saying he touched base with a forester for the Minnesota Public Land Challenge. Got me thinking: What are good questions to ask a forester when it comes to public land hunting (in state and out of state)..?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Razorhead

Re: Good Questions To Ask A Forester

Unread postby Razorhead » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 pm

I am a forester and I think one of the most valuable things a hunter could ask a forester would be the locations of active timber sales in the area of interest as well as planned timber sales that are under contract to be harvested within the next couple of years. Foresters know as much about these areas as anyone after spending the time to locate boundary lines, lay in the harvest areas and stream buffers and actually walk the entire acreage marking timber.

Often times I hear hunters become very frustrated when a property that they hunted for years is all of a sudden being harvested right in the midst of deer season. I strongly encourage hunters to target these active timber sale areas. These active logging sites are magnets for deer. The sound of logging equipment and chain saws draw the local herd in from all directions as they use the freshly made skid trails to access and browse on the youngest tips and buds on the logging slash. I talk to loggers everyday as I administrate multiple active timber sales at one time and they all have the same story about deer all around them browsing the fresh material as they are working. The deer love to walk the new skid trails eating acorns as they are easy pickings as they drop onto the freshly exposed mineral soil of a skid road. I contract timber sales on both public and private properties. I’ve encouraged many private landowners over the years to take advantage of hunting their property during an active timber sale because it may be the only chance in their lifetime that they get to experience that. I know of many good bucks killed on properties being harvested as they cruise regularly through those areas checking for hot does as the does and young ones have set up camp feeding and bedding right in the active sale area.

Foresters can be a wealth of information regarding locations and access to these sale areas. They are obviously in tune to what species of trees are growing there and what species were good mast producers during a particular season. Foresters may even be able to hook you up with a map of the sale area.

In closing just be safe while hunting active timber sale areas. Be respectful of of the loggers that are working on the site and give them plenty of room. It never hurts to make them aware that you are hunting in the area. Don’t block any gates or roads or park along a road that is actively being used by log trucks to access a timber sale area. Also, leaving any kind of equipment (stands, cameras etc.) in an active sale is very risky and I would advise against doing that.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Straight from the sources mouth there! It does get much better than that. Thanks for the great tip!!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 am

If non venomous snakes can reduce the rodent issues and keep desieses to a minimum.
Why are venomous snakes allowed to exist on public lands?

If they are wanted to farm for antivenom or other uses that can be done on private farms in contained areas. Without risk to human life .

Snakes have been seen as evil in the bible and throughout time in many cultures. Have been cursed in the country of Ireland.

A bite can cost a family upto 300k in hospital Bill's for antivenom even if it doesn't take your life ,it in a way takes your lifes work.

Hunters and Homeowners have gone to great lengths, great personal risk and millions worth of ammo to protect fellow sportsman and families.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:01 pm

First thing I would ask is do you own any land? If yes, can I hunt it.

If no, we'll do u know anybody that does who will let me hunt!

Those are the only questions I would have for a forester in my general area.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:49 pm

I'd be asking about Oak populations in certain areas (find areas rich with oaks, or ones that are void to key in on the the ones it does have). Id also be asking about recent cuts. Tops provide great bedding and as stated once it is cut, it really opens it up for natural browse to come in
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:26 pm

Just from personal experience here in middle of state Wisconsin, we had our lumber company land being logged during hunting season. They posted the entire property during the logging time so we were unable to hunt this piece. I believe they did it for safety reasons.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”