PA looking to decimate deer herd in the name of CWD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

PA looking to decimate deer herd in the name of CWD

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 am

We finally are getting over the deer decimation of the early 2000's now the wonderful state of PA is looking to do it again!!!!! PA game commission just had a meeting where they are looking to extend hunting seasons, lift antler restrictions, and raise doe tags through the roof. Also looking at possible multiple buck tags in certain places. Not looking good for our deer herd, insurance companies finally found an excuse to kill them all.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
mauser06
500 Club

Re: PA looking to decimate deer herd in the name of CWD

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am

So you think CWD is made up??

Or do you have a better solution at stopping the spread of CWD??

Have you done ANY research on CWD and how it's spread and how it's effected other states and how it's been handled in other states??

Do you have any sort of actual proof that insurance companies are behind CWD? Let me guess.. you believe that they stock coyotes and mountain lions as well???

If it's not contained....guess what? You will have no deer. If it's contained, there's much less deer in a contained area which will eventually recover.

I wish uneducated people would stop feeding stations, mineral sites etc...that should have been the first thing to be made absolutely illegal period.

Do some research.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:37 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:We finally are getting over the deer decimation of the early 2000's now the wonderful state of PA is looking to do it again!!!!! PA game commission just had a meeting where they are looking to extend hunting seasons, lift antler restrictions, and raise doe tags through the roof. Also looking at possible multiple buck tags in certain places. Not looking good for our deer herd, insurance companies finally found an excuse to kill them all.

Sounds very familiar. Exactly what WI did in the early 2000’s. We’re no better off than we were then eliminating CWD just a whole lot less deer on the landscape now.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 am

Here we go...

I'm with Mauser.

I know there's about to be a range of passionate opinions chime in to the contrary, some well thought out and most not. There's not alot of answers available on CWD. I'll go with what the biologists and researchers on the front line fighting to stop it have to say vs people that think the game commissions are secretly against us.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:10 am

Cwd was made in a lab as a potential weapon to reduce enemy food supply by the government and tested in Colorado in the 60s. It was sold to insurance companies in the 1990s after the government saw they no longer had a use for it as a weapon. Yes it stays in the soil and is spread by birds also.

Their is no record of Cwd in history before the 1960s.
At least ehd is sad but natural.

It is beyond suspicious the areas and counties that cwd has hit.
It's never in the counties with lower vehicle accidents. I agree with Ted Nugent it is a government creation.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Cwd was made in a lab by the government and tested in Colorado in the 60s. It was sold to insurance companies in the 1990s. Yes it stays in the soil and is spread by birds also.

If you look at auto accidents it's quite obvious that the areas with the most deer vehicle accidents have been hit with cwd.

It's never in the counties with lower vehicle accidents.

CWD started in a captive cervid facility in the 60's in Colorado-the origin is not known. It is not confirmed to be spread by birds. The main way it has been confirmed to have spread is by the movement of cwd positive captive cervids between states.
It was never sold to insurance companies. Insurance companies make more money selling extra deer coverage so the last thing they want is to get rid of deer. The areas with the most deer vehicle accidents would be the areas with the highest deer populations and high deer populations are where you would expect a disease outbreak.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:48 am

brancher147 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Cwd was made in a lab by the government and tested in Colorado in the 60s. It was sold to insurance companies in the 1990s. Yes it stays in the soil and is spread by birds also.

If you look at auto accidents it's quite obvious that the areas with the most deer vehicle accidents have been hit with cwd.

It's never in the counties with lower vehicle accidents.

CWD started in a captive cervid facility in the 60's in Colorado-the origin is not known. It is not confirmed to be spread by birds. The main way it has been confirmed to have spread is by the movement of cwd positive captive cervids between states.
It was never sold to insurance companies. Insurance companies make more money selling extra deer coverage so the last thing they want is to get rid of deer. The areas with the most deer vehicle accidents would be the areas with the highest deer populations and high deer populations are where you would expect a disease outbreak.

I'm sure insurance companies like adding on extra coverage they like even more making sure they don't have to pay.

Birds such as hawks , owls carry soil in their claws from when they go after animals on the ground. That soil then falls to the ground. I don't think it's a main way it spreads but it is a way.

How can you prove insurance companies didn't buy it?
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:53 am

Move to a different state.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Meateater Podcast 184 with the QDMA discusses several of these CWD theories.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:20 pm

mauser06 wrote:So you think CWD is made up??

Or do you have a better solution at stopping the spread of CWD??

Have you done ANY research on CWD and how it's spread and how it's effected other states and how it's been handled in other states??

Do you have any sort of actual proof that insurance companies are behind CWD? Let me guess.. you believe that they stock coyotes and mountain lions as well???

If it's not contained....guess what? You will have no deer. If it's contained, there's much less deer in a contained area which will eventually recover.

I wish uneducated people would stop feeding stations, mineral sites etc...that should have been the first thing to be made absolutely illegal period.

Do some research.

I dont think it's made up but also dont think it's best to just blindly follow along with game commissions. What's states have been trying hasn't really worked all that well. My issues are that with the way deer naturally disperse (especially bucks during the rut) how is making a pile of does a wise decision? Make the bucks that could potentially have it travel farther in search of does? Also deer in the northern states basically migrate to winter feed grounds during the dead of winter. They find the best food source and congregate there. I spoke 1 on 1 with the guy in charge of managing Iowas CWD issue. He did not have all the answers and I believe they are doing what they feel is best, but they cant be sure because there aren't answers out there. What if some of the deer out there are resistant to it? Mowing down the herd is going to take that with it. And even if you kill all the deer, it can still be present in the soil.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:28 pm

Problem is once you have cwd you can't get rid of it. It has been proven less deer spreads the disease quicker because bucks have to travel further to breed does. Killing the entire herd will not contain the spread or eliminate the disease. The antler restrictions ban is the one that really chaps me.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm

mauser06 wrote:If it's not contained....guess what? You will have no deer.

Where exactly did this happen?
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm

I really hope they don't lift antler restrictions. I could live with the other stuff
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:23 pm

It won't work. Might slow the spread, slightly but it will still spread. You can't kill prions in the wild, but you can make deer hunting worse. We must eradicate all deer to save the deer. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:44 pm

As my pappy always said.... Follow the money!
Who has something to gain from doing such?

The only cases I've ever heard of cwd outbreaks in my area are on those high fenced deer farms. Generous folks, they lobby millions every year out of the goodness of there heart. Funny I don't recall them ever having to kill off there enterprise.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”