Ridge beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntrp

Ridge beds?

Unread postby Huntrp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:33 pm

May seem basic...but when looking at this area there is a ridge that levels off for a about 500-600 yards then the drop off continues. In regard to hunting ridge lines would you focus on the upper portion where the red X is... or is that second drop off where, the blue Xs are, a good place to search for bedding?
Screenshot_20190914-002502_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Ridge beds?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:44 pm

That's not topography that I am used to....very interesting.

Your red X is right around the area you'd typically look for hill beds. Top 1/3rd elevation.

You may not get a thermal tunnel with that land layout....or....you might be right on and get a thermal tunnel at both your locations.

One way to find out.....head to both spots during a leeward wind and see what milkweed does.

That's quite a "flat"...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 am

I like the steeper edges
Your far right NE blue X under a NE wind and maybe around to a North wind is probably good.

Your far west blue x looks like it maybe getting a sharper edge as that ridge is going off your map...would certainly be worth scouting

Under a NW wind to a N wind I like the area I placed a black mark for a bed also

Good luck, boots on the ground will give you a better idea, but I think you’re close
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Huntrp

Unread postby Huntrp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for the look. Backstraps... In regard to the far west blue X on the continuation of that ridge, heres a look. Seems good i think
Screenshot_20190914-173123_onX Hunt.jpg
but the road (in yellow) is pretty close.
Huntrp

Unread postby Huntrp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am

backstraps wrote:I like the steeper edges
Your far right NE blue X under a NE wind and maybe around to a North wind is probably good.

Your far west blue x looks like it maybe getting a sharper edge as that ridge is going off your map...would certainly be worth scouting

Under a NW wind to a N wind I like the area I placed a black mark for a bed also

Good luck, boots on the ground will give you a better idea, but I think you’re close

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”