Early season scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

editingspace0

Early season scrapes

Unread postby editingspace0 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am

Anyone have any luck hunting early bow season scrapes?

Found a scrape back in March that's alongside a bedding area (+/- 100 yards). I couldn't hunt this evening due to family schedule, but will be able to tomorrow morning. On my way home from work, the wind was stiff in the right direction for me to sneak in and take a look around since I haven't seen it since March. Found that scrape and it had fresh paw marks in it, scattered dirt in that heart shape, and broken licking branch above. A 2 day old rub (according to fellow HB member who did the rub testing haha) 35 yards from it. My wind will be just off perfect tomorrow for it and I plan to get in early.

Wanted to see other's thoughts and successes or mishaps on early season scrapes (early to mid September).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Re: Early season scrapes

Unread postby Acer18 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Early season scrapes near bedding have productive for me. Shoot straight
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:17 pm

editingspace0 wrote:Anyone have any luck hunting early bow season scrapes?

Found a scrape back in March that's alongside a bedding area (+/- 100 yards). I couldn't hunt this evening due to family schedule, but will be able to tomorrow morning. On my way home from work, the wind was stiff in the right direction for me to sneak in and take a look around since I haven't seen it since March. Found that scrape and it had fresh paw marks in it, scattered dirt in that heart shape, and broken licking branch above. A 2 day old rub (according to fellow HB member who did the rub testing haha) 35 yards from it. My wind will be just off perfect tomorrow for it and I plan to get in early.

Wanted to see other's thoughts and successes or mishaps on early season scrapes (early to mid September).

I found one myself. Our season doesn't start till oct 5 though. Let us know what you see.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:22 am

Dan says active scrapes near bedding are golden (HB Podcast #2). Eberhart says active scrapes in September are worth hunting. Andrae says if they’re working a licking branch in September near bedding it’s worth hunting.

I’d throw a sit at it.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:23 am

The morning after I speed scouted it, I sat it. Got in about an hour and a half before daylight. At about 0700 a smaller 8 point came through and headed right to the scrape. I ended up being to close to the scrape. When he came in he was right underneath my tree. I tried to grab my bow and my lower cam pulled some bark off the pine and he got spooky. He didn't bust out and blow all over, rather he just trotted off and malingered until he disappeared.

Came back later than evening taking a different way in, and sat the tree I should have sat that morning. Didn't see anything and sat until 10 minutes past closing.

I did learn some things though, so it wasn't a complete waste. Hot scrapes will have visitors if near bedding. Don't set up right over the sign and look for a tree a little further, and lastly, just pay attention. The buck didn't make a noise coming in and I just noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. Had I been observant instead of doing whatever I was doing (I actually think I was on my phone but can't remember) I would have had a quick 5-6 yard shot on him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”