Fresh rub vs size of rub..? Which is more important to you

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abenak89

Fresh rub vs size of rub..? Which is more important to you

Unread postby Abenak89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 am

I found a fresh buck bed today with 2-3 smaller trees rubbed up right at it. I would see this happened within a week and the bed has been clearly used recently.

My question is.. clearly this doesn't scream BIG buck but could this still be a big buck?

What are you thoughts on smaller but fresh rub/beds?

PS. This is my first CLEAR buck bed I have found so I was pretty excited.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Fresh rub vs size of rub..? Which is more important to you

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 am

If season is open, then I'm more excited about the freshness. I witnessed a 3-4 year old buck rub tiny saplings and bushes last year just as he was shedding his velvet. It wouldn't look impressive to most, but those first rubs of the year are key to early season buck hunting in areas with early openers.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Abenak89

Unread postby Abenak89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:21 am

jwilkstn wrote:If season is open, then I'm more excited about the freshness. I witnessed a 3-4 year old buck rub tiny saplings and bushes last year just as he was shedding his velvet. It wouldn't look impressive to most, but those first rubs of the year are key to early season buck hunting in areas with early openers.

Ok awesome thanks for info! I'm in WI do opener is tomorrow. I scouted a brand new area just for kicks today. Stumbled onto that bed. Wind would be perfect for it and from what I can tell, they are coming through here from the food source. Maybe I will give it a shot tomorrow.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 am

Both

Big bucks go where big bucks have gone before old sign can be good.

As far as small fresh rubs I've seen some great bucks rubbing only tiny trees. If it's a rub on a hardwood it's more then not a good buck.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Abenak89

Unread postby Abenak89 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:50 am

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Right now, gotta go with fresh over size. I witnessed a decent buck rubbing the other day, and when I saw the size of the rub after he walked off I would have sworn, if I saw that rub anywhere else that day, that it was made by a 4 point.
Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Unread postby Robert501st » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:28 am

Ack wrote:Right now, gotta go with fresh over size. I witnessed a decent buck rubbing the other day, and when I saw the size of the rub after he walked off I would have sworn, if I saw that rub anywhere else that day, that it was made by a 4 point.

What he said. Found the first rubs in my area (if you can call them that, they were nothing more than two foot tall baby maples broken in half) on Sept 5. Could have been a forkie, could have been the Booner I’ve seen in the same area. Little bucks don’t make giant rubs but giant bucks will make little rubs.
“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”