If deer see so well at night...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

If deer see so well at night...

Unread postby Country » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:08 am

...then why do they do things at night that they don't normally do during the day? So, many of us have probably been on the way to our destination in the pitch black morning and had bucks chasing does all over the place, presumably all while avoiding crashing into trees. Deer typically bed during the day and get up in the evening to feed in the dark. We have all seen sign that was more than likely laid down under the cover of darkness. Shining deer in the middle of the night could indicate that deer feel more comfortable standing in an open field in the dark of night, but what if it has nothing to do with their feeling of security, but rather just how their internal clocks are wired?? If deer see so well at night, why would the darkness provide any more feeling of security? It's kind of hard for me to put this thought into words...maybe I'm making no sense at all, but I can't help but wonder if the way we understand nighttime deer activity is a little skewed. Some of you guys that run trail cameras may have some interesting knowledge on the subject. What do you think?

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: If deer see so well at night...

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 am

Deer do have better vision at night.

How I look at this.

If you began eating in a field at 9pm may or may not have a few cars come by. You probably wouldn't care as long as they didn't stop.

By 11pm theres not a car or sound of a car till 5am that 6 hour period deer know normally theres nothing suppost to be there.

I would imagine lights and a loud vehicle would be very terrifying to them.We would likely stare, duck down or just run for cover. Which also is their reaction. The lights mess with their eyes cornea just like it does ours which is why we can't stand looking directly in a flashlight. I think they go in to a type of shock which is why some just stare for what seems like a long time in reality 30 seconds.

If deer know when hunters leave to get lunch and move. They certainly know what's going on before daylight. Which is why I am so paranoid about white lights.

Big bucks don't usually enter fields until after dark and leave by sunup. Because they know the likelihood of being spooked is lower. Bucks are often killed on private farms in fields because the amount of human activity has been so low they let their guard down. Any shining or pressure they are out of that field by 5am most of the time.

Deer have built their lives around studying us after all to them we are the biggest predator.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 am

I think in a way you answered your own question.

Deer have more Rods (nighttime receptors) and less Cones (daytime/color receptors) so there nighttime vision is better than there daytime vision which is mediocre at best.

So it benefits them to do most of their moving during dawn/dusk and nighttime and that is why you see so much nighttime activity and more sign laid down. Same reason why humans would not fair so well running through woods during pitch black without a flash light etc. our eyes are just not setup that way.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:16 am

Certainly less to no human pressure at night has to tip the scales to the darkness factor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”