How do bucks bed on fingers like this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

How do bucks bed on fingers like this?

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 pm

The lines are walking and biking trails that are heavily used on a daily basis. Will a buck bed there with the wind coming from the trails or would he most likely be facing the trails with the wind at his back? The finger is south of where the trails branch off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: How do bucks bed on fingers like this?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm

If I was a buck I would bed like this.

Pink circles bed
Blue wind direction
Yellow where bucks looking.

That area provides good security cover.
They can shift around between the two with eyes watching the human trail.

They could shift 360 and have wind or eyes to their advantage at all times. Or they could use a single bed and just face differently depending on wind.

I dunno if a buck would prefer wind or eyes from or two the trail either sets up to his advantage and I'm sure he would feel secure either way.

If I had my pick I like west pink circle better it has a point sticking out more. It has a better -safer entry route to bed then the north bed.would be a really hard spot to get a kill from I think it's very secure.

Screenshot_20190912-201411_Photo Editor.jpg
Screenshot_20190912-201411_Photo Editor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 pm

So it would probably be a good primary bed and not just wind specific?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Sorry I just saw your last paragraph. I'm curious about this spot. I have different areas in mind right now, but got to looking at aerial maps.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:00 pm

I bike this trail often when I hunt and check cameras. I also checked this finger 3 years ago looking for sheds, but it was before I discovered the Beast and knew what a buck bed looked like. I now know to think differently.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:15 pm

Elite wrote:So it would probably be a good primary bed and not just wind specific?

I think so bedded their he really doesnt need to move if he doesn't want too. He might like a certain wind more. Though I think glassing -hunting it is the only way to know.

On foot this may be different .

Bucks really like to watch hunter - threat access trails. Though they are going to still bed in a preferred spot.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”