Setting up in the Dark

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Setting up in the Dark

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:49 am

I have been revisiting past morning hunts in my mind and I am growing paranoid of the amount of light I am using to get my sticks and stand in the tree. Especially when setting up in small groups of trees in open marshes. I have heard about using red lights vs white light and other aids like glow in the dark paint.

Cut to the chase....what are some tricks to reducing the amount of light needed to set up in the dark?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Re: Setting up in the Dark

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:56 am

I've had similar thoughts. I usually use a large 3 bulb LED headlamp, which I will continue to bring for blood trailing after dark on evening hunts, but also have a tiny green light that goes on a hat brim. I plan to use that as I get closer to my destination and for setting up on morning hunts. Some people argue that it doesn't matter if you use a large white headlamp, but deer don't seem to like being shined. I'll play it safe
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 am

Use a red light... It's not very bright and deer do not see very well at all on the red side of the color spectrum. But it's bright enough to get the job done and be safe and that's what matters.
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:54 am

I use a ZebraLight headlamp with the flood bulb on the dimmest setting.......super dim with no hot spot. I like it a lot.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Use a red light... It's not very bright and deer do not see very well at all on the red side of the color spectrum. But it's bright enough to get the job done and be safe and that's what matters.

X2 with what he said. I always make sure my light stays on the tree or the ground at what i'm getting. Never look around to see if the Boogeyman is making those noises you here. If he is, you're already dead! :o
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:27 pm

When I use a red light navigating to my spot I find the light disorientating. I use a low lumen head lamp to get to my tree. Then I will turn off my light, cool down a bit and hang my set without any light. If I have to have light setting up, I usually use a red light.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 pm

I use a browning headlamp with red and green lights.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm

I don’t use a light setting up. Your eyes adjust. But....there are a lot of guys that use lights and don’t seem to have issues with them/deer spooking. The thp guys use them. So idk. I guess I just might be a little too paranoid about it all.
I will use a light if I find myself making too much noise walking in when it’s dark. Usually a red or green light.
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 pm

I use red light as well. Most of the time I just walk into the woods a bit, let my eyes adjust and you will be surprised how well you can make things out. Especially if the moon is bright.
Extreme Effort Only
hokiehunter373

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:42 am

I usually use regular white light to get to the tree unless it's a place I'm super familiar with which usually isn't the case. Once I get to the tree I've got all lights off and I'm climbing with no light. Honestly though, from what I've seen/watched/read, I don't think it matters.
Get me in the woods

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”