Nebraska DIY hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wanabhunter

Nebraska DIY hunt

Unread postby Wanabhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Ok I know there are other feeds on sight but this is my first out of state hunt and I’m going solo. I’ve decided to do an out of state hunt and I’m choosing Nebraska. I have a place to stay near Hickman so I’m thinking of hunting near the Missouri River Basin? From my research there seems like plenty of public land that looks walk in accessible.

Does anyone have any recommendations of hunting this area? I’ve never been there, never scouted it and literally just winging it. Please any tips and advice would be highly appreciated. I’m not asking for anyone’s spots or locations all I’m asking if a general direction or county.

I’m planning on scouting for a day or two, hanging a few trail cameras and then just doing hang and hunt from the loan wolf.

All information is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Mopar1169
500 Club

Re: Nebraska DIY hunt

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm

My hunting buddy, my dad and myself are actually going to nebraska for the first time ever this year. We are going to the Valentine area to start out, try the sand hills then go from there. Don't know where we will end up. Got 10 days to bounce around before I gotta come back home. We normally hunt in MN for our out of state hunt, but my property has been under water all year. So said screw it going somewhere new.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Oh yeah you might want to make sure the roads you need to access in that area are open. That area got tore up pretty bad this year with flooding. Last time I looked there was still alot of washed out roads and bridges. Good luck.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 pm

That is in my core area, if you have any specific questions drop me a PM and I will try and help if I can. I am not an expert by any means but I have an idea of the lay of the land, I do a ton of scouting in the area.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:My hunting buddy, my dad and myself are actually going to nebraska for the first time ever this year. We are going to the Valentine area to start out, try the sand hills then go from there. Don't know where we will end up. Got 10 days to bounce around before I gotta come back home. We normally hunt in MN for our out of state hunt, but my property has been under water all year. So said screw it going somewhere new.

John at the Merritt Trading Post can probably at least get you some info, and all of the locals stop in at his bait shop. I have learned a ton just standing around and listening in that place.
Somthingoriginal

Unread postby Somthingoriginal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm

So SE Nebraska is my core area. I'm not a real accomplished hunter, this is actually my first season using beat tactics. So you'll have to take my advice with a grain of salt.

If you check out the Nebraska big game guide they publish mature buck harvest rates by county. Most of the best counties are either in the SE or along the platte and loup rivers.

In the SE there are tons of small 80 acre ag fields with easy access. But I wouldn't hunt anything that's not an hour outside of Lincoln and Omaha. I feel like most hunters around here are pretty lazy and if you're willing to walk 1/2 mile in and cross a creek you're gonna have the place all to yourself.

The wma's along the Missouri have been under water all summer. I would avoid them this year. If you have any other questions feel free to pm or just reply in thread I'll help out any way I can.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 pm

DhD wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:My hunting buddy, my dad and myself are actually going to nebraska for the first time ever this year. We are going to the Valentine area to start out, try the sand hills then go from there. Don't know where we will end up. Got 10 days to bounce around before I gotta come back home. We normally hunt in MN for our out of state hunt, but my property has been under water all year. So said screw it going somewhere new.

John at the Merritt Trading Post can probably at least get you some info, and all of the locals stop in at his bait shop. I have learned a ton just standing around and listening in that place.

Thanks for the info we are staying at Merritt reservoir state park. Will probably do a bunch of road and glass scouting until we find something then stalk. If nothing else it will be a good time seeing some different country that we have never hunted before.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 pm

Thats a gorgeous area. I have never hunted up there but I go up there to fish a couple times a year. Decent muskie fishing at merritt res. if you need a break from hunting.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 am

The hunting public just got to Nebraska so keep an eye out for their new videos.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”