How will November go with a full moon Nov 12th?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

How will November go with a full moon Nov 12th?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am

Im not a huge moon follower but I've noticed some differences during the full moon. What do you typically see when the full moon falls near the peak of the rut like this year on Nov 12th?

I expect to see some good mid day action, but maybe less at first and last light. Not sure if others agree based on experience.

The only all day sits I do all year are out of state in the hills of Ohio. Trying to pick which week should be better.

backstraps

Re: How will November go with a full moon Nov 12th?

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

johndeere506 wrote:Im not a huge moon follower but I've noticed some differences during the full moon. What do you typically see when the full moon falls near the peak of the rut like this year on Nov 12th?

I expect to see some good mid day action, but maybe less at first and last light. Not sure if others agree based on experience.

The only all day sits I do all year are out of state in the hills of Ohio. Trying to pick which week should be better.

That ^^^^^ sounds solid to me.
As for the full moon... I dont know, I think if the girls are in, the action will be happening. Hope you have a great time!!
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I'm not crazy about the moon either - more concerned with overhead and underfoot than anything else. I am also a believer in the red moon and its effect to nudge them to get up and moving. I think the weather plays a larger role.

My experiences tell me if you want to shoot your buck that you are targeting then you are better off mid to late October. If you want to shoot an older buck and maybe your neighbor's buck, hunt early November. If you want to go in a spot and just hope something happens with at times seemingly no rhyme or reason (maybe a neighbor's buck, or maybe his neighbor's neighbor's neighbor's buck) hunt November 7 - November 12.

November 7 - 18 would be my all day sit zone right downwind of the most used trail leaving the thickest nastiest bedding cover available. I prefer that over a natural funnel this time of year personally, to each their own.

For the record, I hardly hunt the rut because most of my best spots are vacated and void of bucks. Obviously there is quite a bit of variability with dates based on where you are hunting across the country also. But, if i were doing public in the hills of southern Ohio I would hunt it November 3 - November 10.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Thank you guys for the info. Im going to maybe split the trip and do one Nov 7,8 and again Nov 12,13. I agree the weather is bigger, but even then, if a doe smells right those boys will be up and running...at least for these 2 specific weeks anyway. Last year Nov 5,6 was hot, and roughly 11,12 was dead same place. I bet 7,8,9,10 was on fire when i was gone haha, and a few were then locked down by the time i returned.

Im hoping for one of these roaming Ohio giants, but i wont shoot less than a 4 yr old buck there. I passed some 3's last year that i know at least 2 confirmed survived hunting season anyway.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Walleye bite will be amazing ;)
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
hokiehunter373

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:29 am

johndeere506 wrote:Thank you guys for the info. Im going to maybe split the trip and do one Nov 7,8 and again Nov 12,13. I agree the weather is bigger, but even then, if a doe smells right those boys will be up and running...at least for these 2 specific weeks anyway. Last year Nov 5,6 was hot, and roughly 11,12 was dead same place. I bet 7,8,9,10 was on fire when i was gone haha, and a few were then locked down by the time i returned.

Im hoping for one of these roaming Ohio giants, but i wont shoot less than a 4 yr old buck there. I passed some 3's last year that i know at least 2 confirmed survived hunting season anyway.

If you hunted the same area last year I'd base your trip more off of what you saw those dates than what the moon is doing. I don't think the moon does much of anything for deer as a whole. I wouldn't be surprised if some individual deer have their preferences. With that said, you already know 11/5-11/6 was hot last year and it doesn't sound like you have specific deer targeted. Hit those same dates as I think that's a far better predictor than the moon and hopefully you'll have some good weather.

I also agree with most of what moondoon said above but would add not to forget about the time period after the dates he mentioned. The last two years I've seen the most mature bucks most active around Thanksgiving getting after that last hot doe HARD. Good luck!
Get me in the woods
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 am

Don't think it will matter much. As long as weathers good more activity is based on the shortening lengths of daylight. Best peak activity I usually see is right around the 5-11th, the 8th has been real solid for me as I have taken some of my best bucks on that day in separate years.

Also was thinking of taking a trip to Southern Ohio around that time as I have 6,7,8,11,12 off work, but who knows where I end up.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:48 am

I’m pretty sure there will be a noticeable uptick in chasing overall buck sightings around through the week following the full moon despite it being later in the month. I saw this exact thing happen in 2008. Bowhunted several all day sits earlier in the month in NY without much action at all, then on the gun opener on the 15th there were suddenly bucks everywhere! Chasing, fighting, etc. The full moon was on the 13th that year.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:41 am

SamPotter wrote:I’m pretty sure there will be a noticeable uptick in chasing overall buck sightings around through the week following the full moon despite it being later in the month. I saw this exact thing happen in 2008. Bowhunted several all day sits earlier in the month in NY without much action at all, then on the gun opener on the 15th there were suddenly bucks everywhere! Chasing, fighting, etc. The full moon was on the 13th that year.

Good post SP, thanks for the info!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 am

I believe it will make zero difference, IMHO. From all the science I've seen on the topic, moon phase, overhead, underfoot, have next to zero impact. I think the science (GPS radio collar studies) shows the price of tea in China has more impact on deer movement than the moon. I'm sure there will be many that disagree. Just like the scent control discussion.
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 am

Can someone explain to me what a “red moon” is and how it pertains to hunting? I heard this on a podcast earlier and didn’t understand
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 am

I don’t care one way or the other cause most likely il be hunting dark to dark every day I have the chance. And if I can’t it will be every hour I do have available.....
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:54 am

tim wrote:I don’t care one way or the other cause most likely il be hunting dark to dark every day I have the chance. And if I can’t it will be every hour I do have available.....

I agree with you. Planning to hunt dark to dark every vacation day. Its just Ive NEVER seen (although 1 camera pic) of a mature buck in mid day even during the rut. Seems like 11-2 is flat dead. Maybe due to hunting mainly rural areas with some human noise and such, i dont know. Last year all days sits in remote-ish OHIO showed me zero 11-2 also.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:36 am

Just going off member but I haven't seen any first light action when you have clear skies and full moon, mid morning on should be good. Might be a good time to scout the morning and hunt the evening.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am

Seeker529 wrote:Can someone explain to me what a “red moon” is and how it pertains to hunting? I heard this on a podcast earlier and didn’t understand

A blood moon:
https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/blood-moon.html

A red moon is when the moon appears red when it is low in the sky as a result of air pollution. Has no bearing on hunting at all.
https://www.universetoday.com/19969/red-moon/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”