Typical deer movement early/rut/late? Bedding questions..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abenak89

Typical deer movement early/rut/late? Bedding questions..

Unread postby Abenak89 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:20 am

I am looking for a simple broad answer on what mature bucks are doing in the different seasons. I live in west central WI and have hill terrain plus some swamp land in area.

My question is if I have ideas where bucks are bedding.. how do I assume what they will do? Example early morning what are bucks doing? Coming from food to bed all day?

Late afternoon to they get up to head to food?

How does this change from early season to pre rut to rut and then late...?

What are IDEAL areas for bucks to bed on hills? I get the top 3rd of hills. Tops of drainages.. how do they use saddles? Say peak hill is 1150, im on trail at 1000. There is a same finger that comes out at 1000. Clearly a buck spot thanks to rubs but how do they come to bed in that spot on a particular night? On fingers where do they prefer wind?

stash59

Re: Typical deer movement early/rut/late? Bedding questions..

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 am

Check out the All Time Best Tactical Threads:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

Then buy Dan's Hunting Bedded Bucks DVD "Hill Country Bedding", chapter 5.

Way easier than trying to explain and won't end up being a book.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Abenak89

Unread postby Abenak89 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:02 am

I would love to.. I wish it were available on digital... I just am trying to put more pieces together before opener this weekend.

I just basically re learned how to hunt whitetail after learning if this site..
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

Abenak89 wrote:I am looking for a simple broad answer on what mature bucks are doing in the different seasons. I live in west central WI and have hill terrain plus some swamp land in area.

My question is if I have ideas where bucks are bedding.. how do I assume what they will do? Example early morning what are bucks doing? Coming from food to bed all day?

Late afternoon to they get up to head to food?

How does this change from early season to pre rut to rut and then late...?

What are IDEAL areas for bucks to bed on hills? I get the top 3rd of hills. Tops of drainages.. how do they use saddles? Say peak hill is 1150, im on trail at 1000. There is a same finger that comes out at 1000. Clearly a buck spot thanks to rubs but how do they come to bed in that spot on a particular night? On fingers where do they prefer wind?

Simple broad answer Early season: food, rut: does, late season: food.............all while surviving the onslaught of hunting pressure.

That being said I wouldn't worry about everything all at once. Break it down into whether your going to hunt the hill country or swamps. If you have an idea where they are bedding..........go hunt them according to the wind, there is no Guarantee you know what they are going to do. You are going to learn as you go and that is the fun in it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”