Combining Google Earth and Buck Bed Pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackCoverBowHunter

Re: Combining Google Earth and Buck Bed Pics

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 am

xpauliber wrote:
BackCoverBowHunter wrote:
mihunter101 wrote:Does anybody back up their GE data file? If so, how are you going about it?

I do by exporting them out by area and naming the kmz the area I am hunting. I usually import it back into my phone so the trails and waypoints are cleaned up that way.

So you don't have one master GE file that you have all waypoints on? You have a bunch of different ones based on each hunting area that you load each time on GE?

I have a master GE file that is broken up into multiple folders (Areas I hunt) under "My Places". Under each folder you can have your tracks/waypoints/contours for just that specific location. I can turn folders off and only see the information I want to. You can also just export that one folder so you don't have to transfer a ton of data every time. I hope that made sense.

Extreme Effort Only
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:38 am

xpauliber wrote:
mihunter101 wrote:Does anybody back up their GE data file? If so, how are you going about it?

I do by exporting them out by area and naming the kmz the area I am hunting. I usually import it back into my phone so the trails and waypoints are cleaned up that way.

So you don't have one master GE file that you have all waypoints on? You have a bunch of different ones based on each hunting area that you load each time on GE?

I have a master GE file that is broken up into multiple folders (Areas I hunt) under "My Places". Under each folder you can have your tracks/waypoints/contours for just that specific location. I can turn folders off and only see the information I want to. You can also just export that one folder so you don't have to transfer a ton of data every time. I hope that made sense.

Same.
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 am

Are you backing up that master file (My Places)? Is it accessible across devices? I back it up along with the rest of my computer, but I'd love to have it available in the field.
Let's go Brandon!
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:52 am

mihunter101 wrote:Are you backing up that master file (My Places)? Is it accessible across devices? I back it up along with the rest of my computer, but I'd love to have it available in the field.

for my phone I have a folder that my tracking app created. I drag all of my kmz files into it after I clean them up. so you can put the "my places" kmz or the individual kmz files all in one spot on your mobile device. So you will always have them even if you accidentally delete stuff while out in the field.
Extreme Effort Only
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm

xpauliber wrote:

Awesome, that makes sense. Thanks a lot for the info! How did you learn how to use all of these features in GE? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:11 pm

mihunter101 wrote:Are you backing up that master file (My Places)? Is it accessible across devices? I back it up along with the rest of my computer, but I'd love to have it available in the field.

for my phone I have a folder that my tracking app created. I drag all of my kmz files into it after I clean them up. so you can put the "my places" kmz or the individual kmz files all in one spot on your mobile device. So you will always have them even if you accidentally delete stuff while out in the field.

What exactly do you mean by "clean them up"?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Very cool. Can’t wait to try this
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 pm

xpauliber wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "clean them up"?

Removing or adding extra points in the trails, or connecting them up while on the computer where it may have been more spotty in the field. Also, I don't name things the best for my waypoints when walking. So when I load it all into GE I update the names/descriptions & photos and such. So when I import it all back into my phone it is easier to read.
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”