Age of this buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

Age of this buck?

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:36 am

I need to fix the dates, must have gotten reset when my cam died.

I've got pics of him all over grandpas farm (dont trust putting up cams on public ground) but am not sure how old he is.

I'd like to think 5.5, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was younger.

All of these pics were taken in mid August- I've stayed out of the timber since, going to check cards one more time before opener, waiting for a rainy day so I can sneak in and out hopefully without being detected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hawkeyebowhunter on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeyebowhunter

Re: Age of this buck?

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:37 am

Not sure how the pictures got rotated, doing this from my phone so my apologies.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 am

Got any pics of the body? Antlers are a very small part of aging a buck IMO. At the moment I'm saying 4
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:56 am

muddy wrote:Got any pics of the body? Antlers are a very small part of aging a buck IMO. At the moment I'm saying 4

Cams are just a little bit too high, getting good pics of the headgear but I don't believe I have any of the body. I'll hopefully get some more pics next time I check my cards
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 am

No real good body shots.

From the 1 pic of his chest I'd say 4 plus.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:
muddy wrote:Got any pics of the body? Antlers are a very small part of aging a buck IMO. At the moment I'm saying 4

Cams are just a little bit too high, getting good pics of the headgear but I don't believe I have any of the body. I'll hopefully get some more pics next time I check my cards

Is this an Iowa deer? After velvet comes off he will still be super nice, but I'm sticking with he's a really good 3 year old or else a good 4 year old. Kinda has a baby face look to him.

Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:28 pm

muddy wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:

Is this an Iowa deer? After velvet comes off he will still be super nice, but I'm sticking with he's a really good 3 year old or else a good 4 year old. Kinda has a baby face look to him.

Yup I'm in central Iowa.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 pm

3.5 year old.
Persistence is undefeated.
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm

I agree hard to tell without a body pic and summer pics are hard but I say he is 4.5 or older. Looks like a big gut. Seems like he has the mass and junky bases that sometimes come with age. Arrow him and have a tooth sent in
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:
muddy wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:

Yup I'm in central Iowa.

Any issues with EHD in your area? Several of my friends "down south" have been afraid to even check cams in their areas for all the dead deer rumors they're hearing.

Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

bigbuckhunter88 wrote:I agree hard to tell without a body pic and summer pics are hard but I say he is 4.5 or older. Looks like a big gut. Seems like he has the mass and junky bases that sometimes come with age. Arrow him and have a tooth sent in

Haha I'm hoping to!
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:31 am

muddy wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:
muddy wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:

Yup I'm in central Iowa.

Any issues with EHD in your area? Several of my friends "down south" have been afraid to even check cams in their areas for all the dead deer rumors they're hearing.

Not so much in central Iowa from what I have seen. My buddies place in Wayne county-he is pretty worried from all the reports, and is hesitant to go check
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Checked cans the other day, got some hard horned pics and a few body pics.

Still not sure what to think between damn good 3.5 or good 4.5

Fixed the dates and times, next time I pull cards will be after the first sit of the year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Dangit that's frustrating that the pics keep rotating!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:09 pm

IMO he’s a 3 year old. Still has the long neck and leg thing going on. He’s a stud though. It’s be hard to let him walk if he strolled by. Plus he’s got character
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”