Oats for late September/early October?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Fast Rider

Oats for late September/early October?

Unread postby Fast Rider » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

What has been everyone’s experience on deer hitting oats in late September and early October? Do they hit it or are they more focused on acorns, and whatever beans/corn hasn’t been harvested?

cspot
500 Club

Re: Oats for late September/early October?

Unread postby cspot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Fast Rider wrote:What has been everyone’s experience on deer hitting oats in late September and early October? Do they hit it or are they more focused on acorns, and whatever beans/corn hasn’t been harvested?

My experience is that acorns pretty much trump everything else unless the other food source is between their bedding and the acorns. Even then they are just nibbling on their way to the acorns. This assumes that acorns are dropping in rather large quantities. They will hit the other food sources but usually after they are done filling up on acorns. Apple and pear trees can be good even when the acorns are dropping, but I usually key in more on acorns.
Bassmasteraj

Re: Oats for late September/early October?

Unread postby Bassmasteraj » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Fast Rider wrote:What has been everyone’s experience on deer hitting oats in late September and early October? Do they hit it or are they more focused on acorns, and whatever beans/corn hasn’t been harvested?

I have a oat field that was just mowed and rolled about 3 weeks ago. It is the destination food source for all of our deer and we have green soy beans and acorns falling.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”