SMALL SWAMP ISLANDS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Weaver.b

SMALL SWAMP ISLANDS

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am

I always spend my breaks at work cyber scouting and today I noticed a small very hard to get to island and skinny peninsula of a swamp channel. I have not scouted this spot boots on the ground. I was wondering if others have had luck on this small of an island? I am sure this will be hard to get to and I would be very suprised if anyone goes to it. Is it to close to season to check this out? My gut says yes but you guys have much more experience with this kind of stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: SMALL SWAMP ISLANDS

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 am

I am not a grizzled veteran, but I’ll say in my limited scouting experience the answer is “maybe.”

I’ve had some that looked great on a map be completely devoid of bedding sign or even any sign. The cover and/or surrounding terrain/vegetation wasn’t right.

Others looked mediocre, but bang, there was a bed because of thick and surrounded on all sides by a small circle of cattails with 360 degrees of escape. Within sight of probably thousands of cars every day. Same with little points that don’t even look like anything on an aerial. They offer all those same advantages and probably aren’t even thought about by hunters because they look featureless from the 50,000 foot view.

I’m definitely going to hit some spots like you showed because of limited intel in an area where I think a shooter that I shined might be hanging out. I was unsuccessful in triangulating from a distance where he was coming from.

What I plan on doing — in season — is get the right wind, moving in close and just look
for surrounding sign. If none, I’ll actually go onto it to check it out.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:53 am

I also looked at an aerial that was during high water and no foliage. It revealed that where the pin is is about the highest point in the swamp
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Give it a shot and see. To be honest, if you have let’s say 20 bed locations scouted or known about, only probably a couple will produce. Try a set and see what happens
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm

You can absolutely find bucks in places like this. It is not guaranteed but likely they'll be there especially if there is water to cross to get in. Look for beds just off the transition on the leeward side and around any single or small clusters of trees in close proximity to the island. I have found good bucks on/near islands with just a few trees and ones with lots of trees. Pressure, I believe, is the key.
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Btw, I wouldn't go in there to scout now. Scout your way on when hunting season comes? Sure. Avoid it now? Yes.
tkohuntsMI

Unread postby tkohuntsMI » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Yea I’d definitely avoid scouting that deep this close to the season. Wait until the conditions are right and go in like you know there is buck bedded in whichever island you are attacking that day. If there is no sign just continue to the next spot until you find sign to support a sit. That’s what i’d do but pretty much everyone else here has more experience with this style of hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”