Scout Campin!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Scout Campin!

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 am

I was going to head out to a public piece to do some scouting last Saturday that is also close to a lake where I take the kids fishing. My daughter had gymnastics and I hated to leave my son at home, but the public areas around home are steep, thick and all around nasty (especially for a five year old). I knew he would want to fish so I asked him, "Bud, do you want to go fishing in the morning and then go scouting? We'll fish and then go look for deer beds, tracks and old rubs in the BIG WOODS!" He immediately said yes and was pretty much jumping up and down from excitement.

Friday evening went on and it was time to get the kids ready for bed. We got his Batman pj's on and brushed his teeth. As I was carrying him into the living room he says, "Daddy, when we get up in the morning, we're going to go fishing? And then, we're gonna go....... scout campin?"

I cut my eyes over to my wife who was smiling ear to ear while I processed his statement/question and replied, "Yes Sir! We are going scout campin after we go fishing."

I don't know what made him put everything together like that in his mind, but we got up on Saturday and went "Scout Campin". We definitely didn't make it as far in as I would have on my own, but we found some good sign, cut some big tracks and had a lot of fun. He did really good making through the terrain with me. I would stay in front and move the briars, limbs, and spiderwebs out of the way so he could move through without getting "a lot" of stuff on him. Hudson was picking out tracks that were partly hidden by leaves and was super proud of himself.

Yes, you might miss something while you're giving your child attention in the woods. But, I promise that you'll miss something better if you don't take them.

When we head out from now on at the Brawner house, we're not going scouting, we're going Scout Campin! We sat down last night to watch DIY Sportsman in North Dakota and Hudson was asking about all of his "Scout Campin" that he was doing.

Here's a picture of me and my Scout Camper before we headed out!

DSCN4429_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stash59

Re: Scout Campin!

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 am

8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
saint1480

Unread postby saint1480 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:56 am

Now that is raising them right!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:17 am

saint1480 wrote:Now that is raising them right!

ABSOLUTELY :clap:
Job well done being a dad there!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:19 am

Oh, that’s some dang good stuff Milkweed! Great job.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:20 am

Thanks for sharing milkweed!!!! That kid is going to be an animal in the deer woods. When my boys where that age up until now they we're ALWAYS with me no matter what i was doing. At the ages of 16 and 18 now, hunting and fishing is always on the brain for them and they are always in pursuit of something. So much so that it kinda gets tiresome for my wife :lol:
Yeah taking him at that young age means more work for you and probably covering less ground but the payoff will be great down the road no doubt. Keep up the good work!!!!
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 am

bigbucks1234 wrote:Thanks for sharing milkweed!!!! That kid is going to be an animal in the deer woods. When my boys where that age up until now they we're ALWAYS with me no matter what i was doing. At the ages of 16 and 18 now, hunting and fishing is always on the brain for them and they are always in pursuit of something. So much so that it kinda gets tiresome for my wife :lol:
Yeah taking him at that young age means more work for you and probably covering less ground but the payoff will be great down the road no doubt. Keep up the good work!!!!

I'm hoping that he enjoys the outdoors like I do. Both of our kids seem to right now. Lets hope it sticks.

We actually made it pretty deep into this piece before he started to get tired. He was a real trooper! As soon as he started to get tired, we headed back out. When we got in the truck, it was all about how much fun we had and not about how ready to come home he was. I feel like if I just ram it down their throat, make them go and "tough it out" that they'll just end up not liking it and lose interest. Right now he keeps asking when we're going back and how many days until hunting season. That is how I want it to stay! :D
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 am

Reminds me of time spent in the woods with my dad! You have planted the seed very well! You are doing a great job!

A couple of things that my dad did with me that I believe really helped my fire for hunting. Don’t take this as me telling you what to do. Just as me remembering fondly how my dad helped me along!

Always let me go when I asked and the conditions were not extreme.

Never pushed it on me, I always wanted to go, but I’m sure I got bored easy as a kid, let me go off after squirrels and rabbits and what not when the deer didn’t cooperate.

Let me ask lots of questions, why do deer do this, and that, and whatever. Did his best to show me with the sign in the woods, rather than just tell me.

Always kept it exciting, hunting is not a job, never complain about time in the woods, be sure to remind him as he gets older about why we hunt, it’s not just about killing.

I can tell he has it already! It’s in his blood! Up before dawn waiting in the pickup playing Da Trudy point buck on repeat. Crying when it was deer season and dad had to work. Looking with awe when you come home with a kill. No matter how big or small you’ll be the best hunter ever! Asking you to tell the story over and over.

Man I hope one day when I have kids of my own, I can do as good of a job with planting the seed as you have.

Enjoy as much Scout Campin as he can handle! I got a bit misty eyed reading your post and looking back at my childhood! :clap:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am

Ha! Good stuff :clap: I pretty much screwed myself out of any "scout camping" Coming home to my wife every year for over a decade bloodied up, beat, battered and bruised. Not to mention covered in ticks, chiggers and poison ivy. Then mix in some close encounters with snakes, hogs and taking a few spills out of a tree. She just doesn't seem to enthusiastic about me taking my 5 year old girl out there. Word of advice to the young newly weds.... Keep all that stuff to yourself and blame it on the laundry detergent. Otherwise u will be heading off on a "scout as* chewing"

Looks like u raised a winner Milkweed, can't wait for that first deer pic
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Good stuff!
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:51 pm

I remember "scout campin" with my dad!
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:23 pm

milkweed-militia wrote:
bigbucks1234 wrote:Thanks for sharing milkweed!!!! That kid is going to be an animal in the deer woods. When my boys where that age up until now they we're ALWAYS with me no matter what i was doing. At the ages of 16 and 18 now, hunting and fishing is always on the brain for them and they are always in pursuit of something. So much so that it kinda gets tiresome for my wife :lol:

I'm hoping that he enjoys the outdoors like I do. Both of our kids seem to right now. Lets hope it sticks.

We actually made it pretty deep into this piece before he started to get tired. He was a real trooper! As soon as he started to get tired, we headed back out. When we got in the truck, it was all about how much fun we had and not about how ready to come home he was. I feel like if I just ram it down their throat, make them go and "tough it out" that they'll just end up not liking it and lose interest. Right now he keeps asking when we're going back and how many days until hunting season. That is how I want it to stay! :D

This is so very very cool! 8-)
I think you are doing it right too.
As a parent of four, a former coach, and current hunter and fisherman, they may/probably will to go through times were their interest will be on other things. I believe those are the times when you offer the opportunity for them to participate but not push them to. Don’t ever stop offering because once you do that may be the time when they actually wanted to go but you didn’t offer.
I think you have it pretty well figured out and I truly believe you have your lifetime hunting partner right there!
Great job Dad!
milkweed-militia
500 Club

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 am

We just went on our last scout-campin mission before season opens this weekend. Took the rods along and cast a line. I think Hudson did a pretty good job taking the picture with my old flip phone! We found a GREAT pinch point that should be a really good rut spot. Little man didn't quite make it all the way out to the suspected bedding, but he's loving getting out there and being a trooper in the thick nasty mess. I would love to arrow one in one of the spots that we "scout-camped" together.

Is it true that Dan has a smart phone now? I'm not upset if he did...... just disappointed.

WartraceBass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:32 am

Awesome job :clap:
Not all those who wander are lost...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 am

It's what it's all about - good looking little guy with a big smile, gotta love it!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”