Beast hunting for young bucks and does

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RookieBeast2019

Beast hunting for young bucks and does

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 am

I understand beast hunting is about hunting beds, being mobile and using milkweed for scent control :D.

I have limited experience. I’ve only killed 2 deer. I was introduced to the beast by my cousin.

I’ve been reading and learning, even scouted after last season. I got myself a hang on to be more mobile. Practice shooting almost every day, making my first shot the most important shot.

My question is my goal is to get more kills so I’m ok not going for a mature buck but do I hunt young bucks and does the same way?

For example does bed in groups. How would I approach this compare to a mature buck who beds alone.

Young bucks usually bed in the staging area. How would I approach this?

Thanks in advance.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Beast hunting for young bucks and does

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:21 am

If you setup on good looking bedding areas you will most likely encounter young bucks as well as does, which you can shoot if you so desire, or pass to see what happens next.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am

Every deer beds, and believe me no matter how much u dig into info available here it's far from easy. Even hunting mature buck bedding strategies u will still get way more opportunities at doe's and younger bucks. It's just numbers there are way more of younger deer than mature. U can shoot younger bucks and doe's using sub par tactics. But sooner or later u r gonna naturally step up your game so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

I guess everyone has a diff perspective on what a "Beast" is. I will just give u my interpretation to chew on. Has nothing to do with what one deems is "mature" It's more of a state of mind. It's a I'm gonna do my best, I'm gonna out work the next guy, when the chips are down im not gonna fold up my tent and quit you dig deeper and try harder. Performing at your best when it matters most, doing what others won't and win, lose or draw laying your head on your pillow satisfied knowing u did the best u could with what u got to work with. Be it tagging a doe, spike or whatever. Atleast that's my deff
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:57 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Every deer beds, and believe me no matter how much u dig into info available here it's far from easy. Even hunting mature buck bedding strategies u will still get way more opportunities at doe's and younger bucks. It's just numbers there are way more of younger deer than mature. U can shoot younger bucks and doe's using sub par tactics. But sooner or later u r gonna naturally step up your game so might as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

I guess everyone has a diff perspective on what a "Beast" is. I will just give u my interpretation to chew on. Has nothing to do with what one deems is "mature" It's more of a state of mind. It's a I'm gonna do my best, I'm gonna out work the next guy, when the chips are down im not gonna fold up my tent and quit you dig deeper and try harder. Performing at your best when it matters most, doing what others won't and win, lose or draw laying your head on your pillow satisfied knowing u did the best u could with what u got to work with. Be it tagging a doe, spike or whatever. Atleast that's my deff

Words of wisdom.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:28 am

RookieBeast2019 wrote:I understand beast hunting is about hunting beds, being mobile and using milkweed for scent control :D.

I have limited experience. I’ve only killed 2 deer. I was introduced to the beast by my cousin.

I’ve been reading and learning, even scouted after last season. I got myself a hang on to be more mobile. Practice shooting almost every day, making my first shot the most important shot.

My question is my goal is to get more kills so I’m ok not going for a mature buck but do I hunt young bucks and does the same way?

For example does bed in groups. How would I approach this compare to a mature buck who beds alone.

Young bucks usually bed in the staging area. How would I approach this?

Thanks in advance.

Young bucks bed the same in usually more open areas near food.
If you just want a young buck you can sit on the nearest acorns. Does will be near the food. You can kick up young bucks or does they will come right back. Keep in mind those does will birth the future hunting for you in that area. So I would be selective unless you just hunt a property with alot of them.

If you think in 3-5 years you plan on hunting mature bucks. Killing the does that give birth to them will reduce the amount of mature bucks in future years.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:39 am

You could hunt funnels and terrain pinches and kill 1.5 during the rut in pressured areas. You could hunt bedding areas and kill 1.5 anytime during season and possibly a mature animal in pressured areas. Kill some bucks. You will naturally move up to bigger deer eventually
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Good for you for wanting to kill some regular deer and then work your way up. Seems too many new hunters want to go right to killing big bucks. Learn to walk before you learn to run.

You found this place, soak up the info and put it to use you will be on deer in no time. Best of luck this season!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:If you setup on good looking bedding areas you will most likely encounter young bucks as well as does, which you can shoot if you so desire, or pass to see what happens next.

This has been my experience. Hunting for bigger bucks requires passing a lot of younger bucks and does.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:10 am

I'm in the same boat. Now that I have moved and am slowly coming to understand the area I need to learn to kill some meat and then work towards mature animals.
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:20 am

brancher147 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:If you setup on good looking bedding areas you will most likely encounter young bucks as well as does, which you can shoot if you so desire, or pass to see what happens next.

This has been my experience. Hunting for bigger bucks requires passing a lot of younger bucks and does.

Yep. I would suggest trying for a nice buck, then if a young buck or doe comes out and you want to shoot, do it. I pass quite a few does and little bucks every year, and I’m going after 3.5 and older bucks. If a big one isn’t home, there’s a legit chance something else is. Your mind is in the right place, getting some kills under your belt is very important.

IMHO the experiences in areas that you think will be good for a big buck will help you learn the good spots from the great spots. Rather than saying “these trails look good, I’ll just try right here.”

You can certainly set up in areas that “look good” and try to kill whatever walks by, but I don’t think you’ll learn quite as much. Make a hypothesis for what you think is going to happen, and when something happens differently than you thought it would, do your best to figure out why they did what they did.

The main thing is have fun. If you find an area with lots of sign and lots of beds and you’re happy with any deer, hunt it. Then take what you learned and scout it in the spring and try and learn from your findings. After a few years you’ll have a better grasp of what is what. Just take notes. Lots of guys keep a journal. I would highly recommend it, as there’s no way I could remember all the details from years and years of hunting and scouting.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:37 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am

Some good advice above.

Don't ever set your own standards of what to kill based upon what you read or here from other people. Kill what makes you happy whether that is a button buck or a booner. Making yourself happy is what is important. I think when you are starting out it is good to get some experience and kills under your belt prior to getting picky on what size animal you want. That experience will help you more when a mature buck is in front of you.

Something else to consider for when/if you want to start getting picky especially if you get a lot of time to hunt and live in an area with a decent deer population. You can be picky at the beginning of the season and then as the season wears on you can always adjust your standards.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”