All day sit in early season, for the afternoon kill?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

_Swamp_Stalker_

All day sit in early season, for the afternoon kill?

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 am

I found an area in hill country, where there is a long ridge, and buck beds are along the top 3rd/military crest. On the other side of the hill is a thick swamp There is plenty of sign down low, on the edge of another swamp (Which is to be expected). there is a small saddle along the ridge and it is heavily used with an active scrape. Sounds to good to be true right? Access is the real issue. I'm wondering when would be the best time to try and get in there?

My idea:

Going in a few hours before sunrise down low, cut up to the saddle, get in before the buck(s) take their beds. sit all day waiting for their afternoon movement. BUT, what would they do when they cross my scent path?

Other ideas: (Thinking out loud)

Afternoon access: I'd have to walk along the ridge, or down bottom where the buck would spot me coming in.

a few observation sits: Slowly make my way in on the ridge over a few hunts observing if the beds are being used

The smartest thing to do: forget about it this season, go and scout during the late winter/early spring and find the specific bed, and a specific tree.
Last edited by _Swamp_Stalker_ on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
tim
500 Club

Re: All day sit in early season, for the afternoon kill

Unread postby tim » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am

I’m thinking you already made your decision by the title of the post
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 am

If you're wanting to hunt the saddle, would it be possible to walk up the drainage/bottom and take a straight line up to the military crest?

IMO, you're safest option would be wait for an afternoon sit (set up around or after lunch) so you know he is bedded.

I would definitely go after him this year though if you know he is in the area. No guarantees he will still be alive.
_Swamp_Stalker_

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am

tim wrote:I’m thinking you already made your decision by the title of the post

I meant to have a question mark at the end!
Joe
_Swamp_Stalker_

Re: All day sit in early season, for the afternoon kill?

Unread postby _Swamp_Stalker_ » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am

Here's the topo. predominant wind is W/NW.
I have Dan's Hill country DVD, just in case anyone was wondering or recommends it!

Joe
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:59 am

In my younger days I attempted these kinda things cause I needed darkness to get in my spot undetected and didn't expect movement until last light. Was a long long day. Will say it did work atleast once and a couple almosts. But I just don't want it that bad anymore to put myself through that in early season. If u think u got a shot and have the motivation then get in there and drop it like its hot. Imo it's best to make a decision and stick to it, bailing out at noon and realizing this was a bad idea is just a waste of a surprise attack.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:34 pm

_Swamp_Stalker_ wrote:
tim wrote:I’m thinking you already made your decision by the title of the post

I meant to have a question mark at the end!

Do you have trailcams in the area telling you there’s a buck you want to kill? I’m a trailcam guy if I know a buck I wanna kill is in the area I’d go after him
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 am

There's alot to this.

First hunting up high on a falling thermal probably isn't the best idea. You mention entering from the bottom big mistake on morning hunts because your most likely crossing the bucks am trail. Unless you find some way the wind, falling thermal and entry avoid that bucks trail to bedding or water. Probably not a easy thing to do.

Do you know what wind direction the bedding is used if so how far from that spot? And are you hunting it on that wind?

That saddles a midday or afternoon spot with a rising thermal.

It's hot where is the water and current food ?
Is the saddle between buck bedding food or water. ?

That area doesn't appear to have multiple bedding features in a small area. It could be a buck bedding area but do other areas on the property setup better for multiple winds close together? If so that's probably the mature buck bedding area.

How thick is this saddle area if it's really open that's not normally a good thing. I ask because your concerned with the buck seeing you.

Are you just hunting it because it's a pinch point with a scrape?

Sorry to ask so many questions I'm just wondering have you asked yourself these?
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am

Have you scouted this?
It appears to be the only southern slope bedding in the area for a wind blowing north to south. Or Northwest to Southeast. At least by what the topo shows not sure what's outside of it.

I always as the questions above when selecting my spots. Oftentimes asking yourself some detailed questions can help you figure out if it's where you need to be.

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by where is water above. Are you in between where their afternoon trail heads down to the water.

Sorry for the double post.

They might bed in the saddle in the wind swirl but if they were you wouldn't be hunting the saddle.

It appears to have secure bedding with the swamp if it's hard to get too from the north. Not saying it's a better spot just it's where I would look for the wind directions above.

Screenshot_20190907-182258_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”