Do you bring your bow when in season scouting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Do you bring your bow when in season scouting?

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 am

Absolutely I used to take the shotgun and bird hunt while Scouting but I got burned too many times with deer staring at me within range including a monster at 15 yards!!! As fun as bird hunting may be you have to get a lot of them for a good meal so now the bow is with me always.

Haste makes waste
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:12 am

Yes always bring it! I could have shot multiple deer while scouting in WI a couple years ago from the ground. You never know when one will stroll by. Its like the old duck hunting trick when things get slow, put your gun down out of reach and stop paying attention usually brings the birds right in lol
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:05 am

I carry whatever weapon is in season when I'm doing in season scouting.

Killed a many of good deer and bunch of hogs like that.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:43 am

In bow season, yes. Although in alternative weapons season I carry an alternative weapon and in firearms season I carry a firearm, when scouting. :D When I was growing up we carried game appropriate firearms and loads, ever time we left the house, depending on what was in season. We stayed out in the woods, fields, creeks, the river or sloughs most ever day and always tried to bring something home to eat. I guess its second nature. So I've never considered entering woods or water without a means to catch or kill ever what is in season, regardless why I'm there. I've had enough unexpected encounters become kills, because of being prepared with a weapon in hand to make it worth packing around a "boat anchor" while scouting.
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:46 am

Always, even if it is just a short distance...

Not my best moment.
Was glassing a valley one morning. Not seeing much decided to make a quick 100ft move to look down a differnt draw an only took the spotting scope no weapon.

Immediately get the glass on what looked to be a decent deer. As I'm dialing it in and really getting the first good look, it just feels like something is off. Settle in the optics deciding on whether or not to make a move and if so the best route to take. After what feels like 3-5min I just feel like something is watching me. Barely take the eyes off the glass an turn my head ever so slightly. There stands a decent 4x4 mulley watching me at 20 yards. Sit up, dang thing flinches and moves a couple feet. Dont know if he just saw slight movement an came to investigate or what.

But I felt foolish the rest of the day climbing up an down hills trying to sneak up on one to no avail, and one was able to get the sneak on me. Face meet palm.
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 am

Unless I'm busting brush, i take my bow. You never know what you might sneak up on.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Absolutely! I made the mistake of not taking mine once and crossed paths with a 140" 8 pointer coming off a ridge during the rut. I was behind a pine tree and he didnt see me. I could of made an easy 15 yard shot on him. You never know what can happen, always be prepared!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”