Whats the Perfect deer hunting boat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Autiger
500 Club

Re: Whats the Perfect deer hunting boat?

Unread postby Autiger » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 am

I’m running an Ascend H12 hybrid kayak from Cabelas. Added a trolling motor for this season so I had to register it.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 am

An orange 16' coleman, or at least that is what I have. Got a 14 row boat too, but use the canoe more. I painted the orange canoe marsh grass once with rattle cans but it all flaked off. Maybe the one that falls your way.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:35 am

I run a 17’ welded Jon boat with a 40 on the back. Removable trolling motor for when I feel the need to bass fish or troll for specks(crappie for you yanks). Boat runs super skinny, Can turn pretty quick, and plenty of room and stability.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

I have an older 17' indian brand canoe with a 30 lb thrust Minn kota on it. It's probably quieter than I can paddle. Plenty of room for gear and deer!
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:59 pm

I don't know if the guy is still on the forum but I believe his name was spyspar? He had s sweet set up if you can dig up old posts
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:47 am

brkissl82 wrote:I don't know if the guy is still on the forum but I believe his name was spyspar? He had s sweet set up if you can dig up old posts

The almighty zodiac with a Honda on the back. Gotta love it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 am

Jonny wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:I don't know if the guy is still on the forum but I believe his name was spyspar? He had s sweet set up if you can dig up old posts

The almighty zodiac with a Honda on the back. Gotta love it

Here is the thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23357&p=297492&hilit=zodiak#p297492
swhughes81

Unread postby swhughes81 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:33 am

I use an old 1965 sears flat bottom 12’ Jon boat. I put it in the back of my truck. I use a small trolling motor, outdoor carpet I glued to 1” thick insulation board I cut to fit in the bottom of the boat to really quiet it down. I also made a boat dolly out of a treated deck board and youth bike tires to get it down and back up the boat ramp and or wheel it to wherever I need. It doesn’t leak and was stored in a barn for 30+ years and my wife’s grandpa gave it to me. This is my 4th year using it to access public land off the local lake/rivers. I’ve killed turkeys and used it but have yet to kill a deer and put in it. (The deer I ended up killing are on a small piece of private my son and I hunt over the last 3 years) but I really want to get a deer back in there off the lake and use the boat this year to haul it out. But it gets me where I want to go and has really changed the way I hunt
Itchy Bones

Unread postby Itchy Bones » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:43 am

Depends on the route.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 am

Aluminum 14 ft modified V car topper (100#) version with a 10 or 15 hp and a 45# trolling motor. Goes fast, can handle waves, still has flat bottom, should be wider than a johnboat. I'm not sure who makes em anymore but they were popular when I was growing up.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:58 pm

PK_ wrote:For the money it is hard to beat an old flat bottom Jon boat. 14’ is great for 1 guy, gear and deer if you are trailering it. If you occasionally like to buddy up I would go with a 16’. If you have to put it in the bed of the truck go 12’.

I have a 14’ with a 9.9 4 stroke or a 6.5 longtail depending on situation. I have a trolling motor, paddles and a push pole. Boat goes pretty much anywhere I want it to. Can also tow my kayak behind if I need to get up something real narrow. But haven’t had to yet.

Canoes and kayaks sound great but if you deal with ANY amount of open water with wind and a little chop, especially in cold weather, that 2-4 miles will be absolute misery.

Yeah man, I thought a canoe with a troll motor was going to be awesome but as soon as I hit big water, wake, miles and wind I knew in the first couple min this wasn't gonna do.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 pm

For me, a 10’ Jon boat with a 4hp Merc 4stroke. I’ve had it on top of my old car, but now I borrow a trailer from a buddy when I take it out. Light enough for one to haul around, big enough for 2 plus gear. A nucanoe would be neat, about the same weight. I seen one over in mich on the Facebook market place a couple weeks back for $200, would have been a steel.
Scratchman

Unread postby Scratchman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm

My fleet:
The Swamp Donkey III- 10 foot John boat. It's OK but sits low and is loud to load , unload, embark and disembark.
The Swamp Donkey II- My 10 foot kayak. Round back with a keel. It tracks good and is very sneaky. If I harvest, I need something else to haul my prize home.
The Swamp Donkey I- 14 foot canoe with trolling motor. Its heavy but gives me great range in a very quiet package. I use this 75%
"I could eat shlapjacks every day of the weeksh, eh." Jimmer Nagamanee from Menominee

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”